Another Root password not recognized

Hi I am new in Manjaro,
the system is not recognizing my root password ( in the UI and in terminal).
So i am quite blocked. I reboot several times but without success. my password and my root password are the same. so i am able to login to the desktop but i am not able to install any application as it requires root password.

also when i am doing su : su: Authentication service cannot retrieve Authentication info

I checked several forums without success.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you set your root password and your user password to the same password during installation, then the root account is automatically blocked from logging into. This means that you have to rely on sudo to run privileged commands.

For one-time commands, you can use… :arrow_down:

sudo name-of-command

For multiple commands, you can do… :arrow_down:

sudo -i

… or… :arrow_down:

sudo su -

… and then you will be in a root shell.

If you want to reactivate the root account’s ability to log in, then you have to set a separate password for the root account. You do this by first issuing one of the two commands above, followed by the following command… :arrow_down:

passwd

Notes:

• su and sudo are two different things. By default, sudo requires your own password. If you set a different password for the root account, then su requires the root password, not your own password.

• Never use su without the space and the hyphen. Always use su -.

• polkit-aware applications such as kate, kwrite, pamac and others will ask you to authenticate with your own password, not the root password.

• There was a vulnerability discovered in polkit, and it has already been patched. The patched version is already in the repository, so it’s imperative that you update your system ASAP. :arrow_down:

pamac update
1 Like

The calamares installer has previously allowed for empty passwords - I don’t know if this has been changed - but there is a couple of caveats to look out for.

If you have installed when empty passwords was allowed and you have left the root password empty then you cannot use su because the root user is effectively locked and unusable.

If you have installed with the user password empty then when screen locks - I have heard of issues where you cannot unlock.

In any of these cases - it can be fixed by using a live ISO and chroot into the affected system - then make the necessary updates to the passwords.

Aye, it has. 'Twas about a month ago, I think. :slight_smile:

No more empty passwordses allowed, Preciousss. :stuck_out_tongue:

when i am running : sudo -i
i am having sudo : /bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set
also I cant use graphical installer.

Yes, both of those conditions must be met, and they normally would be. If they’re not, then you must have done something very, very wrong to your system.

Please post the output of the following two commands…: :arrow_down:

ls -l /usr/bin/sudo
df -Th