An Issue with a Corrupt Firefox Browser

Hello, I’m not new necessarily to Manjaro Linux, but I’m not really a tech genius so I don’t know how to fully use it either.
Anyways

I’m having an issue with a corrupt Firefox Browser, being unable to access it, delete it, reinstall it, etc. I can’t even -Ryu or whatever command it is to delete the file in the konsole. It doesn’t allow it.

And I have no clue what else to do other than make this forum for help, as Firefox is teh one stable browser I have on the system.

I haven’t experienced anything like this before, and it’s going to be a big issue if I can’t get Firefox back up and running.

I was wondering if I could have help on actually being able to delete the file somehow so I could reinstall it, if you could please?

You can close Firefox, and rename the ~/.mozilla folder to mozilla_old for example, and then start Firefox. It will create a new default profile. See if that works.

If that works then the issue is simply in your old profile. From this point you can decide to start fresh (continue using the new default profile), or you can delete the .mozilla folder and restore the old original .mozilla folder instead, and try basic operation to troubleshoot Diagnose Firefox issues using Troubleshoot Mode | Firefox Help

1 Like

Detail “access”.

Detail what command you actually used, and its output.

I used sudo pacman -Syu firefox
It couldn’t do anything because something is missing from the Firefox system, I don’t know what

And for access, after it got corrupted it lost its icon, became a white sheet, had to remove it from the bar. I can’t find the file(s) anywhere and again, can’t delete, reinstall, or launch, not even from pamac

That doesn’t have to do with the issue sorry
I can’t find the Firefox file(s), delete them (konsole or pamac), nor reinstall or launch.
Plus the Firefox app lost its icon, and wouldn’t open there. Had to remove it from the bar

That’s rather for installing it.
(Though the extra u is unneeded here…)

As if it has been removed…
Though i’m surprised you can’t reinstall it either. Do you get an error then?

sudo pacman -S firefox

This is what happened when I used that command, copy pasted from konsole:

warning: firefox-103.0-1 is up to date – reinstalling
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/firefox-103.0-1/desc: No such file or directory
warning: could not fully load metadata for package firefox-103.0-1
error: failed to prepare transaction (invalid or corrupted package)

Looks like a corruption of pacman’s database.

pacman -Dk
1 Like

Says the description file for Firefox is missing

Just delete the folder. The database will be recreated on update.

sudo rm -Rv /var/lib/pacman/local/firefox-103.0-1/
sudo pacman -Syyu

Will it even update Firefox if it doesn’t have its entry anymore? :thinking:

I was hoping it would give some directions on how to fix that. I’d rather try to resolve this without directly touching the database.
My first guess is to try to cleanly remove Firefox, then reinstall it. You may need to also (temporarily) remove other packages, such as internationalization ones.

sudo pacman -R firefox
sudo pacman -S firefox