An issue from the grub rescue

Good morning/good evening

I am writing to you because I have a problem, here is my situation:

I recently bought a thinkpad W541 without storage and therefore without an OS (even though it was originally on a windows 8).

I am trying to install any OS (arch, endeavour, manjaro) but nothing works, it seems to me that the problem comes from the computer.

The problem, as I understand it, is that the computer doesn’t know which SSD to use (whereas there is just a M.2 is my computer), but I can see that the M.2 SSD SATA I have installed is recognised by the system.

I find myself on manjaro with the grub rescue.
Could you help me please?

Thank you in advance !

Hi there & welcome. Are you able to use the Manjaro Live installer & run “lsblk” to give people an idea of what your drive/partition set-up looks like? That will provide some visibility. Thanks & all the best with this challenge. R :slight_smile:

I don’t even reach to install it, I turn on the computer I do F12, I select the USB key, and I have directly :
error:unknow filesystem
entering rescue mode

I tried lsblk and that’s considered as an unknown command.

Ah okay. I’m not sure what to suggest here. Are you 100% sure that your install medium is not corrupted? Just to cross that off the list…

Did you disable secure boot and fast boot in the bios ?
Also take a look at this link to the wiki.

I don’t think the problem is with the flash drive, but rather with the M.2 SSD since it is new, and there was no OS on it.
Do you think the problem could be with the SSD?

This is hard to know since it lacks information about the problem.

Does other old hard drive have no problem?

see this

There is no old hard drive on it, only M.2.
Here is what’s written after I did ls : hd0, hd1 and cd0
when I do ls (hd0) or ls (hd1) or ls (cd0), there is a message telling “filesystem is unknown”.

it doesn’t work, I apologize.

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.

[HowTo] Provide System Information

1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

(Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

1 Like