Alternate build of manjaro has almost flawless Youtube playback?

Was checking out the latest vid by leepspvideo, and he shows a modified build of manjaro for the Pi 4 (thunderjaro). Which seemingly has flawless high bitrate video in chromium… Browser performance seems snappy too…

It looks like xfce (but i could be wrong)…

Can we achieve the same results, with the regular arm build of manjaro on the pi?

Here’s the short vid:

Its LXDE …
And they dont share what they did … so … :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Is he using it in a closed source manner? Is that even allowed???

Ask him for the sources - the PKGBUILD, the patchfiles for whatever changes he makes.

He is legally obliged to abide with such request.

Or maybe he just overclocked the system - which upstream don’t recommend on the RPI4

1 Like

I doubt he oc’d because mine is oc’d, and does not improve video acceleration that drastically. Just read in the comments that he’s using lxde 64-bit… This could be a breakthrough on 64bit systems…

Going to ask the guy to share his stuff here.

Edit:

Lee actually says the system is not oc’d in the video…

The vid claims no overclock.
And it looks like this might be it … but no sources I can find …
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fenixlinux/files/pi/FenixOS_swiftjaroLite.xz/download

1 Like

This is the official website with contact info:

https://fenixlinux.com/comunidad

:point_up:

I download their image and took a peek inside and it looks to be debian based as it uses apt. I know that ubuntu has a custom compiled browser that is supposed to be faster.

2 Likes

Hope this can be integrated into all 64bit versions, smooth browser performance (especially youtube and browser video) would make the overall experience even better.

Running Manjaro KDE on my Pi and it’s great, but the browsers feel quite sluggish.

Overall you guys made one one most mature systems around, especially compared to Raspi OS… Also run Manjaro KDE on my PC…

We do not recode to have custom browsers like ubuntu and the RPi people. We do not have the resources or time.

1 Like

I understand… But did he do a full recode? And could this version not be merged in all 64bit versions?

I am not a dev so don’t hold it against me.:sweat_smile:

I looked some more and the image defaults to a 32bit os. They have modules in /lib/modules for armv7 boards and a 64bit kernel. The default config.txt is geared to boot up 32bit by default just like the pi foundation does with their image.

You can boot a 64bit kernel on a 32bit os by adding a line in config.txt. I messed with it here and had to use chromium as firefox had issues. Even if you tried to install their prebuilt browser package on our image it will not work due to lib and package depends version differences with relationship of it’s 32bit dependencies and the 64bit ones installed in our 64bit images.

config-txt

1 Like

Seems like a very interesting approach, but also feels like a workaround for some reason.

Noticed the dev said:

based on Manjaro + LXDE. But it runs smooth… awesome. Chromium runs with mesa-vulkan support.

It’s manjaro xfce. have removed xfce and installed Ixde, openbox and i3. Now I’m doing a version from the source. The LXDE version exists only on PC.