Alt+tab insted of showing list of windows just highlight selected one

Hi!
Like in subject - when I’m alt+tabbing system doesn’t show list of windows, it just highlight selected window.
Problem occurs on a fresh manjaro xfce 21.0.4 installation.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if XFCE System Settings > Window Manager Tweaks > Cycling options would be helpful.

I currently have:

[x] Include hidden windows
[x] Cycle through windows on all workspaces

Documentation

Hi,
thanks for your reply!
I already saw this settings and it not helping me :frowning:

This happens even if XFCE System Settings > Window Manager Tweaks > Cycling > Cycle through windows in a list is selected?

Is there any difference if XFCE System Settings > Window Manager Tweak > Compositor > Enable display compositing is disabled (not checked)?

This happens even if XFCE System Settings > Window Manager Tweaks > Cycling > Cycle through windows in a list is selected?

Yes

Is there any difference if XFCE System Settings > Window Manager Tweak > Compositor > Enable display compositing is disabled (not checked)?

When checked - alt+tab makes selected window to be highlighted,
when not checked - alt+tab shows frame of selected window.

Same happens for me. I have searched using Google and have played with the settings, but I cannot switch to the behavior I was expecting (a popup windows showing window miniatures).

Would posting a short video here help?

Update: after having restarted the computer, I found that the popup window now appears. It seems that just modifying the checkboxes in the Settings Manager was not enough. Strangely, even when applying this trick, the «Show windows preview in place of icons instead of cycling» does not seem to have any effect: be it checked or not, no window preview appears. (The compositor works fine, however, as I can toggle window shadows on/off.)

Also, when plugging a secondary display, the small popup used to cycle through the windows is no longer shown in any display.

I have the same problem. I want to cycle through the windows in a pop-up list in the middle of the screen as I could before.
This is a major disadvantage for me as I cannot see which window I am about to open!

(Tried to attach an image of the checked boxes) I have tried to check them and uncheck them and my computer has been restarted many many times since this stopped working after an update.

Just a lark, in Settings Manager, Window Manager, Keyboard, what is the keystroke for Cycle Windows? And if not Alt-Tab, what is Alt-Tab set to?

Also, in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
there should be two entries for Alt-Tab and probably a few lines apart.

<property name="&lt;Alt&gt;Tab" type="empty"/>

and then

<property name="&lt;Alt&gt;Tab" type="string" value="cycle_windows_key"/>

If not and you need to modify, make a copy of this file. Once modifed, save it, then log off and back on such that XFCE will pull in your changes.

This might get you closer if something is amiss.