After using KDE Partition Manager superblock size issues leaving system unbootable

I’ve tried e2fsck and fsck. I was hoping to backup my Manjaro partition by cloning it, and before I could clone it, I resized it and I got an error during the automated error check. I have since found out Gparted is considerably more stable and mature than this application is thus far. Upon checking the partition with sudo e2fsck -f -v /dev/nvme0n1p2 I get this message: The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 488300696 blocks The physical size of the device is 153600000 blocks Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt! Followed by a bunch of prompts to ignore errors after there’s errors reading countless blocks. I hit the Y key so much I cannot tell how many errors it gets. The message goes as follows roughly on each line: Error reading block 153616416 (Invalid argument) while getting next inode from scan. Ignore error<y>? And from here I tried to replace the superblock. I ran sudo dumpe2fs /dev/nvme0n1p2 | grep -i superblock and got a bunch of values for over a dozen backup superblocks. I ran sudo e2fsck -p -b 98304 /dev/nvme0n1p2 and got the following: /dev/nvme0n1p2: The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 488300696 blocks The physical size of the device is 153600000 blocks Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt! Unfortunately after searching I have no clue how to recover my system. In have fixed a bad superblock before, but not a partition table or something else is preventing the recovery of the superblock. I need some help since apparently some of the tools out there make things worse, and coming from Ubuntu and GNOME use for about ten years, KDE is relatively new to me (less than a year of using it).

From what I understand of what you described here
you tried to shrink the partition
which succeeded
but the filesystem on that partition was not resized to match the new, smaller, partition size.

I also think that even though you ran e2fsck, you did not actually change anything

If that is true and you did not command the e2fsck utility to actually make any changes
(because you said you just told it to ignore errors)
there is a chance that you can go back and just undo what you did - grow the partition again to the original size.

If you do have a backup - good on you. Just use that.

Before you try undoing what you did - if there is important data on there and you don’t have a backup - I’d image the entire drive (using dd)
so that you have a copy of the state it is in now
in case it doesn’t work the first time.

If you did actually commit to disk many, many changes during e2fsck, there will definitely be some or even a complete data loss.

I have no clue what size it was to the exact amount and just nuked everything because I think I may have hit the wrong key at least once during e2fsck. Thank you anyways. I’m never using that partition manager again. I will stick with gparted.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.