After update zorin, grub fail to access manjaro partition

After update zorin, grub fail to access manjaro partition.

I have a /boot/efi/ folder. Now, after update zorin, it seems lost.

tree -d -l 1 /boot/
1 [error opening dir]
/boot/
├── efi [error opening dir]
└── grub
    ├── fonts
    └── x86_64-efi

sudo update-grub have no effects.

Can you help me?

I asked help zorin forum too.

try reinstalling grub…
boot into manjaro live usb, chroot:
manjaro-chroot -a
reinstall grub for efi with these 2 commands
if there were no errors, exit chroot:
exit
reboot and see if it helped…

btw, if you are using efi, you dont need grub, you can boot into manjaro or other OS via the efi boot option

Hi @F_oliv,

Please see:

:point_up:

Manjaro requires its own Grub in order to boot.
If you dual-boot with another distribution, make sure its Grub does not override Manjaro’s, for instance by installing it on its system partition instead of the EFI partition.

Thank you, brahma!

How can I boot into manjaro or other OS via efi boot option?

thats specific for your computer … maybe pressing f2, or f8 or f10, or ‘delete’ key… i really dont know how to show it on your computer… but its the menu where you select to boot from usb…

OK. I enter the manjaro partition via a live USB, as you suggested.

Now, I must do sudo update-grub in manjaro?

so you are now in manjaro live usb?
and are you chrooted? if yes, run the 2 commands in the link for efi grub… if there are no errors from the reinstall grub command, exit chroot:
exit
reboot

No, I’m in the partition in hdd. In live usb, I choose the last option …bootloaders…

i dont understand… did you booted into manjaro live usb?

I use the live usb. Then in the menu I choose to boot from disk, using a bootloader… named… manjaro. So I manage to access the partition of manjaro. I don’t want to use a live usb again. I want to update grub. It’s ok to do sudo update-grub ?

What prevents other GRUBs from detecting Manjaro? I know if you have it installed in LUKs then the OS is hidden, but OP did not say they had it installed that way.

ok, so you booted into your manjaro installation… you can run:
sudo update-grub
then reboot, but i dont think this will help… you need to reinstall it, as is outlined above…

Ok. Thanks.

Ok. You’re right. To run the two commands I need to install manjaro-chrootbuild or I can use sudo?

you dont have to install anything, just follow the instruction above, chroot, reinstall grub, reboot…

I got This -

[fo-satellitel50c fo]# manjaro-chroot -a
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
==> Mounting (Zorin) [/dev/sda1]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
mount: /mnt/etc/resolv.conf: mount point is a symbolic link to nowhere.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
root@fo-satellitel50c:/# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
Command 'grub-install' is available in the following places
 * /sbin/grub-install
 * /usr/sbin/grub-install
The command could not be located because '/usr/sbin:/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative privileges associated with your user account.
grub-install: command not found
root@fo-satellitel50c:/# pacman -Syu grub

Command 'pacman' not found, but can be installed with:

apt install pacman

root@fo-satellitel50c:/# exit
exit
 --> umount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
 --> umount: [/mnt]

you chrooted into zorin… i have no idea how thats possible…

is manjaro encrypted? are you running on btrfs?

I’m inside Manjaro Partition. Maybe I must run from live Usb. (?)

i dont know if its possible to reinstall grub from manjaro partition, so just try and see:

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

if there were no errors, update it:
sudo mkinitcpio -P && sudo update-grub
reboot