After update sleep triggers shutdown, but only on battery

Everything used to work great! I really don’t want my laptop to shut down when I close the lid, and leaving it plugged in all the time ruins the battery and defeats the purpose of “laptop.”

Here is what I know:

• Before the update, the system worked as expected (i.e., suspended without shutting down) regardless of whether it was plugged in or on battery power.
  • Currently, when plugged in, the behavior is normal (as expected and as previously configured).
  • Unexpected behavior can be triggered consistently when the laptop is on battery power with any suspend action (e.g., close laptop lid or issue ‘systemctl suspend’ on the command line).
  • I have not intentionally (manually) altered any configuration files.

Here is what I think:

• This appears not to be a kernel-specific issue, as I have tried several kernels and still experience the same behavior, although it could be a kernel module issue.
  • The update could have made a change to something in /sys/power or /etc/systemd
  • I do not believe my problem is the same as the battery drain issue reported by some, although it may be related.

Here’s what I have:

• Dell XPS 15
 uname -a                                            
Linux DarkStar 6.0.11-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Dec 2 21:23:52 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux
lsmod | grep acpi                                                      
snd_intel_sdw_acpi     20480  1 snd_intel_dspcfg
i2c_hid_acpi           16384  0
i2c_hid                40960  1 i2c_hid_acpi
acpi_pad               24576  0
acpi_thermal_rel       16384  1 int3400_thermal

DISCLAIMER: I’ve searched this forum and the rest of the Internet, but I’m sure your Level 9 Ninja search skills are far superior to mine. If I have overlooked something, please point me to the answer elsewhere.

I am currently facing the same problem, after the update sleep triggers shutdown when on battery mode and it’s really frustrating, if you do find a solution to this problem please point me to it.