After Testing update 2022-12-13 encrypted root partition no longer found

Continuing from [Testing Update] 2022-12-13 - Kernels, KDE Gear, KDE Frameworks, Deepin, Firefox,:

Can someone help me to get the system booting again.
I chroot-ed into the system via a live-system-stick and did

grub-install --force --target=i386-pc --recheck --boot-directory=/boot /dev/sdY
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

But that didn’t help-

What I see is that the UUID of the root device is the one of the @ subpartition in the encrypted btrfs-partition.

Downgraded to stable. No difference.

I don’t think its related but might be worth a shot, I found this on another arch based forum

A recent GRUB update from Arch Linux may require you to perform some manual steps after updating your RebornOS (but before rebooting), so that your computer does not become un-bootable.

If you are planning to update your system (like by running sudo pacman -Syu), please follow the below steps after updating (but before rebooting):

1. Check if you are booted in UEFI or Legacy mode

If you are booted in UEFI mode, when you run the command ls -ld /sys/firmware/efi, you will see an output like

$ ls -ld /sys/firmware/efi
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Dec 10 09:52 /sys/firmware/efi/

If you are booted in Legacy mode, when you run the command ls -ld /sys/firmware/efi, you will see an output like

$ ls -ld /sys/firmware/efi
ls: cannot access /sys/firmware/efi: No such file or directory

2. Re-Install GRUB

Based on whether you are booted in UEFI or Legacy mode, you can run the below

UEFI mode

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=RebornOS --recheck

Legacy mode

sudo grub-install --target=i386-pc --bootloader-id=RebornOS --recheck

3. Recreate GRUB Configuration

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

4. Assess Reboot Safety

If the above grub-install and grub-mkconfig steps run successfully, it is safe to reboot!

Thank you! I have legacy-mode and I did all the steps you suggested before. It didn’t help. I now copied over all the files from /boot of a backup, I luckily did some days ago, to the boot-partiton on the hard-drive and it’s booting again.
Then I updated to testing again and the problem re-occured. So, I had to copy the backup once more, to downgrade again and will stay on stable until the next testing-update is announced.

Thanks to the suggestion from @lare I found the cause of all of this. In the file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf the HOOK encrypted vanished after the update. I now added it again and even installed the newer kernel 6.1 and it works with all installed kernels (5.15, 6.0 and 6.1)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.