After switching to pipewire, KDE audio settings complain that "module-gsettings" is needed

Hi there,
i’ve recently switched to pipewire and only got one small, but annoying problem with it: i can no longer set Automatically switch all running streams when a new output becomes available in the KDE sound settings - it’s greyed out with the message needs the pulse-audio module "module-gsettings"

i can’t find anything in that regards on web strangely, i find no packages that obviously relate to that and no mention of any of that in any wiki - so i’m kind of at a loss here. Hopefully someone here can help me out :slight_smile:
Maybe something that has to be set in one of the config files in /etc/pipewire?
I’ve noticed that i don’t have a /etc/pulse/default.pa - i hope that is normal when using pipewire?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Termy,

pamac search gsettings

Yields

mate-desktop-schemas-gtk2                                                                                                                                                                    1.16.2-2                 AUR
GSettings schemas for MATE Desktop (GTK2 version)
deepin-desktop-schemas-git                                                                                                                                                                   5.8.0.32.r14.gbffbf38-1  AUR
GSettings deepin desktop-wide schemas
qt5-gsettings-git                                                                                                                                                                            v1.2.0.r9.g3132cd4-1     AUR
Qt-style wrapper for GSettings
qt5-gsettings                                                                                                                                                                                1.3.0-1                  community
Qt-style wrapper for GSettings
kdebugsettings                                                                                                                                                                               20.12.2-1                extra
An application to enable/disable qCDebug
gsettings-xsettings-schemas                                                                                                                                                                  3.36.1-1                 AUR
Workaround for font rendering issues in Wayland clients, GSettings schema of the XSETTINGS plugin from GNOME Settings Daemon
gsettings-qt-bzr                                                                                                                                                                             0.1.r69-1                AUR
Qml bindings for GSettings.
gsettings-qt                                                                                                                                                                                 0.1.20170110-3           community
Qml bindings for GSettings
gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu                                                                                                                                                             3.34.0-1                 AUR
Shared GSettings schemas for the desktop
gsettings-desktop-schemas-git                                                                                                                                                                3.37.1.r2.g4acad3c-1     AUR
gsettings-desktop-schemas-git                                                                                                                                                                40.alpha+11+gd21183e-1   community
gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev                                                                                                                                                                3.36.1-1                 AUR
gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev                                                                                                                                                                40.alpha+9+g41ca229-1    community
gsettings-desktop-schemas                                                                                                                                                        [Installed] 3.38.0-1                 extra

so I’m guessing you need to install gsettings-desktop-schemas. Or that’s mine anyway.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
If it’s not that, I have no idea what it is or can be since I don’t use my PC’s sound due to a hearing problem.

Thanks for the answer, i forgot to mention that was already installed :slight_smile:
The only other packages that are not installed and contain gsettings are gsettings-qt and qt5-gsettings, but those are only bindings if i understand correctly?

To be totally honest, I have no idea, for the reason mentioned in my edit.

1 Like

so i tried gsettings-qt and qt5-gsettings despite not much hope they helped and can confirm they don’t solve this issue - i’m open for any idea :confused:

/etc/pulse/default.pa is the PulseAudio system file for loading modules
If that file is absent it would suggest that PulseAudio has been uninstalled
possibly from an update to pulseeffects

I suggest you go to Pipewire for support because there does not seem to be anyone here who knows much about Pipewire yet

1 Like

according to a contributor module-gsettings is simply not implemented in pipewire and thus it’s not working.

And i’ve created a bug over at KDE as well, just in case.

2 Likes

Just to be clear if I understood correctly: so this is the reason why Pipewire doesn’t automatically switch to my headphones when I plug them in my laptop, right?

Thanks for searching and opening a bug!

i would say so, yes.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.