After starting device, it takes a very long time to start Wi-Fi

Just to clarify, yes, my system is encrypted, but it isn’t from boot-up that I count, it’s once I’ve put-in the system password (after being decrypted and loading in the GUI).
It takes ~3 whole minutes to get the Wi-Fi going, which I thought to be a network problem initially (because I have plenty of problems with my current provider & their modem), but my cheaper (yet much newer) laptop connects in a matter of seconds after putting-in the password.

My older laptop (which takes so long) uses:
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

Whereas my newer laptop (which I am comparing with) uses:
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822BE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi adapter

Is there anything I can do about the old one or should I just accept it as it is and move on :sweat_smile:

Have you tried any of the forum search results regarding that model?

Or this, but make sure is for your kernel version

If none of that is helping with the responsiveness and activation of the WiFi, then simply that means your older laptop is slow altogether.

1 Like

I assume you mean the password for the encrypted volume here, and not the wifi password right :thinking:

That could be related to:

1. Driver problems, see the reply before me by bogdancovaciu
  2. Your environment with respect to WiFi signal strength, the lower the signal quality the harder it is to associate with your AP.
  3. Your old laptop is just way slower as your newer laptop :wink:
  4. Could still be a problem with your WiFi config.
1 Like

My apologies, I now updated the post; I meant I started counting after entering the system password (where you select who needs to log-in & what’s their password)

I have seen the 1st one and another one, but not the linux#number# ones.
I will try those ones too, thanks