After reboot, network interface is not shown

Hi! I’m new to the forum so forgive me if any mistakes occur, I will be glad to change the topic, and details, if requested.
I have a dual boot system, I had to use Windows, but then when I booted back to my Linux partition I noticed that gnome session doesn’t show Wireless connection anymore.
I started to dig further.
After running ip addr I noticed it doesn’t show anything more than lo, no wlan0 in the list.
After running lspci -k | grep -A 3 -E "Network" I see the following:

Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)
Kernel modules: iwlwifi

So the driver exists, but what i noticed I miss the following line

Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

So something was wrong with the driver, now what I ran is

lsmod | grep iwlwifi

And I get the following

iwlwifi 0

So driver is disabled, enabling it with modprobe iwlwifi results in failed error -110
Now im totally lost because I don’t know why this driver can’t be loaded, even though my WiFi is compatible, as I checked here: List of Wi-Fi Device IDs in Linux - WikiDevi.Wi-Cat.RU.
rfkill shows that interface is unblocked.

I don’t know now what it is connected with. Maybe recent update in kernel or something else. Thank you very much for your help!

Sounds like the example of Windoze not releasing the device.
Please make sure that windoze shuts down all the way (ie - disable ‘fast start’, etc).
I cant recall if there are other steps to take …

1 Like

Windoze leaves the hardware in an undefined state when “shutting down”, because it will by default hibernate instead of actually shutting down.

To disable Fast Startup and disable hibernation the safest option is to run in a Windows shell with administrator privileges:

> powercfg /H off

Then reboot twice.

1 Like

Yes, it worked! Thanks you!
Is this permanent, will it work with the following boot?

It is permanent, unless you (or maybe a windoze update) re-enables it.
The command was not necessary - there are check boxes for it too.
ex:

Its just one of those silly things that windoze does to make it appear like it shuts down and starts up quickly - when in reality it never does either.

1 Like

So you say that even if I turn off Windows by default its still gonna run? So it continues spying on you even when yoy think it’s off?

I’m not sure how much is actually running - as mentioned above its hibernation in lieu of an actual power off.
But that does mean its not technically off.
And as far as spyware functioning - like a microphone or camera you didnt enable yourself - that has been demonstrably true for modern tech like phones … I would suppose it might be possible for something like a PC as well … though doubtful micro$oft would do it themselves - they more prefer to track your usage … they are less likely to care (enough) about random viewings of your bedroom. State or other malicious actors properly incentivized on the other hand … supposition abounds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.