After last upgrade can't login, X not working. All of a sudden

Hi there, yesterday I “pacman -Syyu” and something went wrong.
Now SDDM changed theme and it doesn’t let me in. I type the password and it send back again at the same SDDM login page.
On TTY I’ve tried to refresh the mirrors and redo an update, no new packages, but I can’t install python-click and libimobile. Names are not 100% correct but I’ll check them later, if I cand find a working pc.
Do you have any suggestion ?
By the way yesterday after the update the system ws not responding anymore, so I had to reboot and tadaa, no login.
Thank you

Most likely you may have landed in a Wayland session or so. You can try to replace sddm with the newer more stable sddm-git version from the AUR: pamac build sddm-git

Thanks philm, I’ve tried what you suggest but it didn’t work. I’m stuck on a login page. Any help welcome, thank you

from journal --boot=1 --priority=3 --catalog --no-pager

mai 30 22:38:45 Latitude kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: Failed to enable SMBus PCI device (-16)
mai 30 22:38:48 Latitude bluetoothd[1073]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() Failed to init vcp plugin
mai 30 22:38:48 Latitude bluetoothd[1073]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() Failed to init mcp plugin
mai 30 22:38:48 Latitude bluetoothd[1073]: src/plugin.c:plugin_init() Failed to init bap plugin
mai 30 22:38:49 Latitude kernel: 
mai 30 22:38:51 Latitude sddm-helper[1136]: gkr-pam: couldn't unlock the login keyring.
mai 30 22:38:57 Latitude sddm-helper[1269]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
mai 30 22:40:54 Latitude systemd[1138]: Failed to start Mailbox synchronization service.
░░ Subject: L'unità UNIT è fallita
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support:
░░ L'unità UNIT è fallita.
░░ Il risultato è failed.
mai 30 22:45:01 Latitude login[1362]: pam_systemd(login:session): Failed to release session: Interrupted system call
mai 30 22:45:04 Latitude kernel: watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!

In TTY Xorg is not working:
do not work, black screen for a moment and then back to the TTY. Like what happens when I’m at login screen and type my password. Could be a Xorg related problem? I have an NVIDIA, nvidia-prime drivers.

from dmesg | grep nvidia:

[    2.657356] audit: type=1400 audit(1685482760.636:5): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe" pid=227 comm="apparmor_parser"
[    2.664689] audit: type=1400 audit(1685482760.639:6): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe//kmod" pid=227 comm="apparmor_parser"
[    8.239548] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[    8.274695] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 234
[    8.275679] nvidia 0000:03:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)

sudo modprobe nvidia gives no output.

Moreover, not sure if connected, I cannot update the AUR package ‘libimobiledevice-git‘, it happened after the upgrade as well.

this is probably the reason… there were several posts here with the same issue, where you have installed some packages from AUR, that are also in official repos, and are now causing issues… post output from:
pacman -Qm

1 Like

Output of pacman -Qm:

abook 0.6.1-7
apfs-fuse-git r97.1f041d7-1
asleap 2.2-7
autojump-git 22.5.3.r0.g06e082c-6
cnijfilter-mg6400series 4.00-2
crunch 3.6-1
extundelete 0.2.4-1
findimagedupes 2.20.1-1
font-bh-ttf 1.0.4-1
gnome-icon-theme 3.12.0-7
gnome-icon-theme-symbolic 3.12.0-6
gphotofs 0.5-3
hfsprogs 540.1.linux3-4
hostapd-wpe 2.10.0-1
joplin-appimage 2.10.19-1
libimobiledevice-git 1:1.3.0.r71.g3a10a31-1
libimobiledevice-glue-git r25.ecb0996-1
libplist-git 1:2.3.0.r17.gf28cf0f-1
libusbmuxd-git 2.0.2.r30.gf47c36f-1
mailcheck 1.91.2-3
nethack4 4.3.0.beta2-2
nomacs 1:3.17.2206-12
openssl-1.0 1.0.2.u-5
otf-futura-renner 1-2
plasma5-applets-eventcalendar 76-1
protonmail-bridge-bin 3.1.3-1
python-mistune1 0.8.4-4
qt4 4.8.7-35
qtav 1.13.0-4
rbenv 1.2.0-1
recoverjpeg 2.6.3-1
ruby-build 20230512-1
ruby-revdev 0.2.1-2
simplenote-electron-bin 2.21.0-1
simplescreenrecorder 0.4.4-2
swisseph 2.10.02-1
systemd-fsck-silent 239-1
tasksh 1.2.0-2
termite 16.5-1
ttf-charis-sil 6.200-1
ttf-crosextra 2013.02.14-2
ttf-nanum 2018-1
tuxboot 1:0.8-1
typora-free 0.11.18-4
urlview 0.9-13
vdfuse 82a-12
whatsapp-for-linux 1.6.3-1
xorg-font-utils 7.6-6

remove these packages from AUR, that are also in official repos:

sudo pacman -Rdd sddm-git libimobiledevice-git libimobiledevice-glue-git libplist-git libusbmuxd-git

install them from official repos:

sudo pacman -S sddm libimobiledevice libplist libusbmuxd

rerun update:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

if no errors, reboot

Yes it worked! Thank you Brahma, I’m reading Bagavadgita right now, so it makes more sense to me to be helped by Brahma :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.