After adding a Xorg config file, xfce panel and some of my settings disappear

Hello, im new to linux so bare with me.

So I wanted to remove the annoying screen tearing when watching videos and i found the solution where you put 20-intel.conf in your xorg.conf.d dir so I did that. Then after I reboot my device my my desktop settings, xfce panel and other stuff wont work. I tried to launch xfce panel but it says “There is already a running instance” and if I delete the config file and reboot everything goes back to normal.

GPU: Intel CometLake-U GT2 [UHD Graphics]

etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf contents

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"
  Option "TearFree" "true"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
EndSection

also did this but still tearing is there

xfwm4 --replace --vblank=glx &
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/vblank_mode -s glx

Odd. Mere Google-Fu but does it help if you

rm ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml

and logout and back in?

Do you actually have a Intel GPU that supports this setting? Newer ones don’t support it.

nope, it did not.

I think it supports it since I tried to watch a screen tearing test video on youtube and the tearing was gone

The default driver for relatively modern Intel graphics is the more minimal “modesetting” driver rather than “intel” and unless you’re on old hardware “modesetting” would be your default. That driver however lacks TearFree support – lacked, but xf86-video-modesetting X.Org Driver Sees Patch For "TearFree" Page Flipping - Phoronix; 5 days ago – and according to e.g. Intel graphics - ArchWiki your implemented try is still correct. Certainly the fact that you have a repeatable difference with and without the xorg.conf fragment means it’s applied…

1 Like

Thank you, Ill just try to find an alternative if its possible.

Well – I know you marked the above as “solution” but I’m sure that it’s going to take a bit for that to make it down to what you’re in fact running. Another try that could work now could be to do instead of the xorg.conf fragment

xfwm4 --replace --vblank=glx &

If that works you set it permanent with

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/vblank_mode -s glx

and logout and back in.

ohh, i have tried that but still, screen tearing is still there.

OK; sorry then; would not know.

thankyou tho

Here’s someone who had the tearing issue on kernel 5.15 and fixed it by upgrading the kernel.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=384869
You are likely also on 5.15 (uname -r says) and upgrading seems worth a try. It’s easily done from Manjaro Settings Manager → Kernel. I’d at the moment try 6.0.8-1

I tried upgrading to 6.0.8-1 and it didn’t work. I also found hardware config on Manjaro settings manager where i found the display controller things for my graphics card and tried to install them one at a time and all at once still no results.

Moderator edit: Removed useless, tiny, hard to see screenshot

One last attempt from me (and I only now see while looking up that you said that glx thing I also suggested in your own OP…)

Try adding Option "DRI" "2" to your 20-intel.conf to go back to older tested infrastructure:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"
  Option "TearFree" "true"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
  Option "DRI" "2"
EndSection

I by the way do not know whether or not TripleBuffer is good/wanted here. Also try without, certainly if it still doesn’t help with even after reverting to DRI2.

So I tried what you said there, I also tried to change the Driver to intel and modesetting still nothing, also i panicked when i got stuck on the boot screen but i found out I can still login there by pressing F2. Thanks for your time!!

Moderator edit: Removed useless photo

Seems fairly clear I’m not making anything any better so I’ll leave it at that then :slight_smile:

FWIW one of the major things with Wayland as compared to X.org is “definitive” tearfree-ness; can’t say I personally on old AMD experience the problem (but I did some time ago on old Intel and with XFCE indeed) but you’re in any case then not alone. Seems that you could try switching to a Wayland edition of Manjaro (but the XFCE one isn’t) or wait for that modesetting/tearfree one as linked to above to land in Manjaro’s X server.

1 Like

oh, no i think u got me wrong u’re alright i’m not mad or anything. i’m actually enjoying this i’m learning stuff. Also I can wait for that modesetting.

Yes, all fine; didn’t think you we’re mad or anything. Was just noting that I was really not making anything any better. While a longtime Linux user I’m a new Manjaro user myself and have been none too effective up to now with fix-suggestions. Make sense I guess – you start to recognize issues and solutions by seeing the same problems many times, i.e., only after a good while…

But never mind all that; hope you find a good solution.