Advice to run Steam on a NVidia Optimus with nvidia-390xx series

Hi,

I have a Asus R900V with a Geforce GT 630M. This laptop has a Nvidia Optimus technology (hybrid Intel/Nvidia graphic rendering). It is old but works very well but I cannot run any games on Steam that use Proton.

For example, for Kards :

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1639697812)
GameAction [AppID 544810, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
GameAction [AppID 544810, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 544810, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 544810, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 544810, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Opted-in Controller Mask for AppId 544810: 0
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=544810 -- '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/KARDS/kards.exe'\0
Game process added : AppID 544810 "/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=544810 -- '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/KARDS/kards.exe'", ProcID 6988, IP 0.0.0.0:0
chdir /home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/KARDS
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
pid 6995 != 6989, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
GameAction [AppID 544810, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
GameAction [AppID 544810, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Game process removed: AppID 544810 "/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=544810 -- '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/catherine/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/KARDS/kards.exe'", ProcID 6988 
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

Same issue with Total Annihilation, it doesn’t run (I set everything in Steam to allow Proton, I did it on other computers).
But Tomb Raider (2013) works … I think, it’s because of its native runtime. It doesn’t use Proton but at start-up a warning is display about the driver (may be not optimal, etc …).

I’ve look into the drivers and I saw that I’m using Bumblebee drivers :

$ mhwd -li
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2021.12.18

I think it may be because of this driver (but I’m not sure of it). So I’ve read a lot about it in the past few day but I’m not sure the tutorial is up-to-date : [HowTo] Set up PRIME (output offload) with NVIDIA proprietary driver.

I don’t want to go into something complicated if I don’t need to. I try to disable the Intel GPU from the BIOS but it seems that I can’t :frowning:

So my question is : what is your advice for this setup ? Do you think that if I setup a NVidia-Prime configuration, it will fix my issue with Steam ?