Add Xfce desktop with Manjaro theming, keep user account

Currently, I have Plasma desktop. I want to install Xfce with Manjaro theming, and apply it to my existing user account. What to do, so the Manjaro theming will apply to my existing user account? I ran the commands posted below, rebooted, and logged in under Xfce desktop, but the Manjaro theming did not show on the desktop. I saw the mouse and generic Xfce theme, so I rolled my system back.

When I first tried to run
sudo pacman -S manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings manjaro-settings-manager
it failed with an error message that a certain file in /usr already exists. So I deleted that file (don’t remember its name) from root, and ran the above command again. The installation succeeded, but no Manjaro theme.

sudo pacman -S xfce4-gtk3 xfce4-goodies xfce4-terminal network-manager-applet xfce4-notifyd-gtk3 xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-gtk3 tumbler engrampa

sudo pacman -S lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
sudo systemctl enable lightdm.service --force

sudo pacman -S manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings manjaro-settings-manager

To get the default theming/settings/configuration of the Manjaro Xfce edition - and since you already installed the package manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings - you’ll have to copy the content of the /etc/skel/ directory to your home directory.

EDIT: I think that the correct package to install is manjaro-xfce-settings. After installing this package, proceed with the copying of the mentioned files/directories.

I would suggest to create a backup copy of your home directory first.

1 Like

Thanks.
1 Where in home directory to put the contents of /etc/skel/ ?
2 If the correct package name is manjaro-xfce-settings then the wiki needs updating.

1 Like

In ~/ or /home/user_name/ where user_name is the name of your user in the system.

From a terminal window run:

cp -r /etc/skel/* ~/
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.