Add the Serpent and TwoFish cipher to use in EncFS

Hey guys,

I just installed encfs because i want to encrypt some files and folders for upload in google drive. Now i was learning that the standard AES is kind of easy to crack so i want to use something stronger like Serpent and TwoFish.
As i just started with Manjaro i am not sure how to install this additional ciphers with pacman and how to load them in the encfs configuration options.

Bonus question: Can i use more than one ciphers after each other for additional safety like it was possible in TrueCrypt?

Thanks for help,
Cheers
Simon

EncFS uses the openssl library. You don’t need to install any other package. You can only use chiper available from this library.

You can choose cipher while cresting an new encfs encrypted file system.

If security is important for you, you might want to not choose EncFS. The security problems that have been found are not fixed.

oh okay thanks that doesn’t sound so good, what would you recommend? using the old sources from truecrypt?

Hi @simonr,

I am in no way an expert, nor do I claim to be.

a Quick search led me to this:

VeraCrypt is a free disk encryption software brought to you by IDRIX and that is based on TrueCrypt

So it would seem that is what you’re looking for:

The website: VeraCrypt - Free Open source disk encryption with strong security for the Paranoid

well that is the obvious solution yeah but unfortunately they are not compliant with the requested security standards

I use goCryptFS.

https://nuetzlich.net/gocryptfs/

Well, that was just one search of the 'ol 'net anyway. Knew I might be wrong.

aight thx i try that

I would be interested in a link,
thanks.

it was in a private course for system admins unfortunately but next time i get in touch with the teacher i can ask for some sources