Add a Brother network printer

Ok finally go my wifi card working.
Now I want to print from my network printer a Brothers DCP-L2540DW
I have manjaro -printer installed.
I have Manger Printing (cups) installed (and a bunch of other cups stuff)
I go to system settings to add printer
A list come up showing my printer an discovered network printer.
When I highlight it, a box for address shows up also for queue.
I entered both my IP address for my printer and MAC address.
In both cases nothing happened all the buttons “back, next, finish” are dimmed out,
What do I put in the boxes to move forward?

A wifi and printer are pretty basic. Why does Manjaro make them so hard to install? Did I miss a tutorial where all this is explained? I did not have near these problems with Fedora and Mint (I had problems but they were more complex and at least the simple things were simple)
I want to like Manjaro but its getting difficult to do.

Which DE or window manager did you install?

In my experience, it was harder to get my Epson installed using KDE, but it was dead simple in Budgie and Xfce.

Not sure what you mean, I have Plasma is that what you mean?
If the add printer recognizes my printer shouldn’t that mean something?
Do you know what address it is asking for? MAC or IP?
And to be honest I am not sure why the windows manager matters or should matter when installing a printer.
But thanks.

Are the drivers installed? The drivers are available via Pamac from the AUR:

Check here as well:

This may be of some help:

1 Like

Printer will require IP address as opposed to MAC. At least that is my experience (MFC-J4625DW)

usually it requires neither as everything is automatically configured.

Ok I have a brother DCP-L2540DW network printer.
It shows up as a discoverable printer.
But then what?
You mention getting a brothers driver from AUR, which driver and how did you get it?
THanks

Please, specify your issue more in detail.

Hi @Jon51,

Please see

Edit:

And yes, there is a driver for the printer in the AUR:

$ pamac search L2540
[...]
brother-dcpl2540dw-cups                                                                                                                                                                                                                      3.2.0_1-4  AUR
Brother DCP-L2540DW CUPS drivers.
[...]

…so it can be easily installed with:

pamac build brother-dcpl2540dw-cups

But anything more than that, I’d recommend the above mentioned wiki article.

Also have a look here:

2 Likes

Printer will require access to your network, and the network password will need to be entered into the printer via its control panel.

Ok, maybe I’ve not explained correctly:

The printer is already set up as a network printer and can be used by my Windows machines.

When I go to add a printer in System settings it shows up as a discoverable network printer.

I have both brother-dcp-l2540dw-lpr-bin and brother-dcp-l2540dw-cups-bin installed.

I also downloaded direct from Brother website, what they say is the linux driver: “linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1-installer”. The instructions say install using e.g. “bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1-installer DCP-L2540L” I cd to dowload where this is located and try:
bash doesn’t work
pacma install doesn’t work
Now someone throws in a “build” command?

I feel maybe I am missing something simple that “everyone” but me knows about Manjaro which is touted as “plug and play.”

Install the drivers from AUR:

brother-dcp-l2540dw-cups-bin
brother-dcp-l2540dw-lpr-bin
brscan4 (if you have a scanner)
brother-cups-wrapper-common (not sure if you need it)

Then add printer anew and choose proper drivers.

If you want to add network scanning (if available)

sudo brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother model=DCP-L2540DW ip=192.168.1.24

You will find the proper IP in your router settings.

Then use skanpage or xsane to scan from your computer.

When I run your build command I get a lot of stuff then:

Checking keyring… [1/1]
Checking integrity… [1/1]
Loading packages files… [1/1]
Checking file conflicts… [1/1]
Error: Failed to commit transaction:
conflicting files:

• brother-dcpl2540dw-lpr: /opt/brother/Printers/DCPL2540DW/inf/brDCPL2540DWfunc already exists in filesystem (owned by brother-dcp-l2540dw-lpr-bin)
  • brother-dcpl2540dw-lpr: /opt/brother/Printers/DCPL2540DW/inf/brDCPL2540DWrc already exists in filesystem (owned by brother-dcp-l2540dw-lpr-bin)
  • brother-dcpl2540dw-lpr: /opt/brother/Printers/DCPL2540DW/inf/braddprinter already exists in filesystem (owned by brother-dcp-l2540dw-lpr-bin)
  • brother-dcpl2540dw-lpr: /opt/brother/Printers/DCPL2540DW/inf/setupPrintcap already exists in filesystem (owned by brother-dcp-l2540dw-lpr-bin)
  • brother-dcpl2540dw-lpr: /opt/brother/Printers/DCPL2540DW/lpd/brprintconflsr3 already exists in filesystem (owned by brother-dcp-l2540dw-lpr-bin)
  • brother-dcpl2540dw-lpr: /opt/brother/Printers/DCPL2540DW/lpd/filter_DCPL2540DW already exists in filesystem (owned by brother-dcp-l2540dw-lpr-bin)
  • brother-dcpl2540dw-lpr: /opt/brother/Printers/DCPL2540DW/lpd/rawtobr3 already exists in filesystem (owned by brother-dcp-l2540dw-lpr-bin)

it looks like you already had installed another version of the same software
possibly without the help of the package manager
(otherwise there should not be a conflict)

looks like you had installed the .bin version of the same:

why it doesn’t already work - even though it’s essentially the same - I certainly don’t know.

get rid of that already present software to install the other one

Before you try wireless printing, assuming the drivers are installed correctly, and it is configured on CUPS interface, can you print via USB?

I have all four of those packages installed.

Yes, I did directly plug into the printer by usb. Manjaro recognized it as a local printer but it installed a generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer - Cups+Gutenprint -v5 driver and it did print. A specific dcp-l2540dw driver was not offered under the brother printer options.
Very frustrating. I feel close but far.

Note I did try network printing with the generic driver, the print job gets to 45% then stops.

Did you try to configure via CUPS interface on your browser: localhost:631

Add printer or manage printers. I apologize as I am not home and am answering via phone.

It sounds like the Brother drivers are either not installed or not configured.

I assume you did try adding printer from this:

Screenshot_20230319_114006

Drukarka sieciowa=Network printer

And there wasn’t your printer on the list (as it is present on my screenshot):

I also assume, you did connect your printer to the same network. Otherwise, the printer won’t be found.

Just to be sure.

1 Like