Acute accent instead of apostrophe in US-intl layout

Hello,

I have a US keyboard and have been using the US-international layout with dead keys for years, since I prefer the US layout for coding, but also need to write text with special characters.

The keyboard settings in the Manjaro settings manager are

• Keyboard Model: Generic 105-key PC
  • Language: English (US)
  • Model: English (US, intl., with dead keys)

I never touched these settings after finishing my setup. As of latest, I believe since the last bigger Manjaro update, I cannot write single apostrophes (') anymore. Instead, it types acute accent (´). This is the case for most applications (Gnome terminal, Visual Studio Code, Chromium, Firefox,…), but interestingly not in Kate and also not in the Keyboard settings of Manjaro Settings Manager.

I created a new user to see whether it´s somethig related to my i3conf, but that´s not the case. Also, localectl doesn´t show any suspicious keymap imho:

System Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: us-acentos
      X11 Layout: us
       X11 Model: pc105
     X11 Variant: intl

I do not know how to proceed with this. Can somebody reproduce the issue or is it just me? I´d be happy about any suggestion.

Thanks a lot,

pixelmason

/edit: I am running on LTS Kernel 5.4.108-1

/edit2: downgrade of the Kernel to the last version (linux54-5.4.105-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst, linux-firmware-20210315.r1846.3568f96-1-any.pkg.tar.zst) didn´t solve the issue either

1 Like

From your description and since it doesn’t affect Qt apps, it seems like an issue in Gtk.

I found this bug report, which might help:

You can try the suggestions about the entries in the file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/Compose and see if that makes a difference.

5 Likes

For me to work i need to put in ~/.config/gtk-4.0/Compose

2 Likes

@bill_t thank you so much! Should have come to my mind that the apps use different frameworks.

I could fix it by either downgrading to the previous version of gtk-3 (1:3.24.27-4), or adding to ~/.XCompose:

<dead_acute> <space> : "'"
<dead_acute> <dead_acute> : "´"
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.