Acer Aspire 3 HDD not recognized

New Manjaro user here, have been playing with Pop-Os so far and tryng different distros.

My problem is with Acer, and I’m not the only one I guess.

Here’s the issue, Manjaro ISO on USB doesn’t recognize the HDD unless I go into terminal and issue this command - rtcwake -u -s 2 -m mem

After the brief suspend, the HDD is available for install, but then the fun begins. Manjaro will not boot without a little help…fails to find the hard drive.
At the emergency shell, I issue the same rtcwake command and mount /dev/sdbX new_root
then continue the boot, it’s slow but does wake up.

In Pop-Os, I found the appropriate place in the initramfs code to place the rtcwake command and re-create initramfs…just before the root mount attempt. It all boots cleanly after that.

However, with the Arch architecture, I haven’t yet found how to automate the HDD wakeup and must manually issue the command every time I boot.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

The equivalent to initramfs is mkinitcpio - ArchWiki

Hm… usually the UEFI/BIOS should wake up any connected drive on initialization. At least to my knowledge after years. I guess your UEFI/BIOS skips steps to speed up booting?

welcome to the club of frustrated acer-bs-hardware.
check your bios-settings for any obscure hdd-modes etc… check for an actual bios-update if avaiable.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Laptop/Acer

Aspire 3 A315-56 internal storage not showing up.

Yes … an example being that pointless “fake-RAID” which is set by default on some of those machines. Need to set it to AHCI IIRC (it’s been a while).

At least the OP apparently isn’t getting that “No bootable device” nonsense which required stripping the machine to get to the hidden CR2032 in order to reset the supervisor password …

Thanks to all of the suggestions. The solution from MrLavender was the one that worked.
I simplified the hook/install combination and performed mkinitcpio and had a successful boot.
I’ll now try the same sort of solution in Pop-Os and if it works will save me modifying source code when updates occur to the init script.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.