Account gets locked for 10 minutes after 3 failed attempts

This behaviour is super frustrating. When entering my password while talking to somebody else, the success rate is lower.

3 failed attempts happens isn’t hard to achieve. 10 minute lockout means you either reboot the computer (unsaved stuff / force closing is never good) or wait 10 minutes as the thing you needed to look up is forgotten, you look dumb, potentially when its actual work, 10 minutes in a real-time conversation of just leaving without any explanation isn’t very normal.

I want to change this. I didn’t find anything under /etc/pam.d/ with deny=3 or unlock_time=600.

To be realistic, the default should also be changed. Android is 5 attempts / 30 seconds. 5 attempts / 5 minutes or 3 attempts / 1 minute sounds reasonable to me.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much your fault…

That is dependent on your Display Manager (the login screen) or Session Locker (when you lock your screen). Each display manager is different.

2 Likes

If you’re using pam_faillock.so: it’s configured via /etc/security/faillock.conf.

4 Likes

I am, faillock.conf worked. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.