Accidentally broke my system with a systemd update... can't figure it out

Yesterday I saw some news that I should update systemd, and I’ve been unable to update overall (see here), so I just went ahead and updated systemd and not a full system upgrade. Then I reboot my computer, and it tells me this:

/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd: /usr/lib/libblkid.so.1: version BLKID_2_37' not found (required by /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd) udevadm: /usr/lib/libblkid.so.1: version BLKID_2_37’ not found (required by udevadm)
udevadm: /usr/lib/libblkid.so.1: version BLKID_2_37' not found (required by udevadm) udevadm: /usr/lib/libblkid.so.1: version BLKID_2_37’ not found (required by udevadm)
udevadm: /usr/lib/libblkid.so.1: version BLKID_2_37' not found (required by udevadm) udevadm: /usr/lib/libblkid.so.1: version BLKID_2_37’ not found (required by udevadm)

[FAILED] Failed to start Rule-based Manager for Device Events and Files.
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/01f91f93-5098-4a82-905a-fd21f3a1b3d4
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /dev/disk/by-uuid/01f91f93-5098-4a82-905a-fd21f3a1b3d4
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Swap
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device /dev/disk/by-uuid-D311-A3E6
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /boot/efi
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uuid/D311-A3E6

What am I supposed to do?

Additionally, I tried to connect to the internet with the iwctl tool, but when I enter

iw dev

It returns nothing. So I’m not sure how to set up wifi using the tool.

edit: added the [ TIME ] and [DEPEND] stuff

you can re-install old systemd from cache (/var/cache/pacman/pkg/) with pacman -U ?

Oh that would be good, how do I do that? I mean, how to specify the version, and the path?

find file in cache , version is in file name

ls -l /var/cache/pacman/pkg/systemd-2*.zst

install cache file

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/systemd-XXXXXXXXX.pkg.tar.zst

I have big doubts… I guess you might crash pacman too

Well, two lessons to learn:

3 Likes

It didn’t do anything bad, and appeared to work, but upon rebooting, ran into the same problem. Am I supposed to remove the new systemd beforehand, or something?

Also, I’ve updated the original post to include more information I had forgotten to include ([DEPEND] and [ TIME ] stuff)

No doubt haha, this is certainly a lesson

Why didn’t you install timeshift or any other system backup tool upfront? It would have been ultra easy to restore an older system state… Hope you think about it before you plan to do “out of spec” activities next time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah… I was an idiot lol