About this config for best quality audio

Hi, days ago, i make some question to put the best quality audio, and a good user answer that i need to put this in the daemon.conf of pulse audio. (the post is closed, that is why i cant ask there).

default-sample-format = s24le
default-sample-rate = 96000
alternate-sample-rate = 48000
default-sample-channels = 2
default-channel-map = front-left,front-right

That is working fine, but i want to ask… the 96000 or 48000 numbers are for the Khz of the sound?
Because im using Qobuz music service and you can get from there 24bit at 192khz.

So, i need to change those parameters or is not related?

1 Like

Yes, they are.
If all your source is 192kHz try:

default-sample-rate = 192000
alternate-sample-rate= 48000

However, unless you’re running a studio with 192kHz capable signal chain (DA/AD conversion, DAW, etc) and need ultra-low latency recording, I doubt that a switch from 96kHz to 192kHz will give you any benefit apart from a warmer room in winter :grinning: .

But since you’ve signed up for the hi-qual service I guess you probably know that.

1 Like

The sampling frequency also depends on the maximum sampling fequency of the sound chip.

So: can you post inxi -Fza on console ?

1 Like

if i dont get the 192000? (because not all the music is at that “level”) some are 96 and less… it will play the 96 if i have in alternate 48000??? and what would happen if i put in alternate 96 but, there is song with less resolution.

Thanks.

Im making the test in manjaro but using a raspberry pi with a hat (iqaudio dac pro) as server.

1 Like

The build in DAC can handle 384kHz sampling frequency and a resolution of 32 Bit.

So you can set th lines in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to following values:

default-sample-format = s32le
default-sample-rate = 384000
alternate-sample-rate = 196000

And test, if these settings work.

1 Like

with “up to 24-bit/192kHz playback”

A raspberry pi with a 25$ sound card? My mixpre couldn’t do that, it maxes out at 32bit/96kHz or 24bit/192kHz.

@9acca9 , I’d tune my pulse audio conf for audiophile use along the lines of this (linux mint) tutorial: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/akhwyr/tutorial_changing_pulseaudio_defaults_and_getting/

1 Like

I have searched for iqaudio dac pro and found, that the DAC can handle 384 kHz and 32 Bit.

1 Like

I dont know how config pulse audio in raspbian… yet, it seems that nobody know how in the rpi forum. Maybe im gonna install archlinux in this raspberry, i hope is not too complicated, just want a headless server. But with the iqaudio dac pro working so probably im gonna lost there.

Edit: about how good is this DAC… i just dont know, i dont have too many money to expend and for me the sound is really great. But… i dont know how to meassure this.

1 Like

So, even if i put alternate-sample-rate to 196000 but my song have 44000 the sound will play anyway?
Also, this is needed:

i mean, what is front-left, front-right? are the output of the DAC?
(sorry if this is too obvius… because not for me).

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s all you need if it can handle sample rates of 48kHz, (“DVD quality”), 96kHz or even 192kHz at 24bit. No one I know can hear a difference between those values, the only limiting factor will be the quality of your speakers/headphones. I record vocals and send the stems to a studio in Amsterdam for mixing, they want 24bit wav files at 48kHz.

Here’s another forum, testing a similar pi DAC with the same chip, very knowledgeable guys there, have a look around and maybe ask some questions there: Review and Measurements of HifiBerry DAC+ Pro XLR | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

1 Like

@6x12
hi. Thanks. About how you config pulse with the reddit tutorial… can you explain why he put to true “avoid resampling” and also put a resample method?

i mean, ok, you want to avoid resampling but resampling anyway?
Also, he dont talk about this options

default-sample-format = s32le
default-sample-rate = 384000
alternate-sample-rate = 196000

can i mix that resampled method with that? And, for what is the resampled? i just want the more fidelity to the actual recording i can have. (…yes im an ignorant, maybe this is not related at all, but i mean, i dont like to put higher bass or whatever, i just want to hear as i suppose that the musician wants)

Thanks

Play content with higher sampling rates (96kHz, 192kHz) if possible, if not possible resample but use a high quality option?

Maybe the guy left them at default? Do not try to set ‘s32le’, for your DAC they should be left at something like:

You mean a high pass filter? These settings aren’t about equalisation, this is about bit depth (8bit/16bit/24bit) and sampling rate with which your DAC will handle audio.

TIP: Watch a lot of tutorials: Digital Audio Basics: Audio Sample Rate and Bit Depth .

1 Like

Resampling: interpolates e.g. 44,1 kHz to 192 kHz.
Used in all CD players and audio servers.
Resultes in better audio quality.

front-left,front-right

means the two front channels normally used for stereo listening.

1 Like

Sample rates and Audio frequency are two different things. In case anyone is getting confused.

1 Like