A software to use manjaro as a phone with LTE modem

Is this your device?

1 Like

What information?

1 Like

i was far from it, now i attached it and this is the outpu:

mmcli --list-modems                                                                                                                                         ✔ 

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/2 [ZTE CORPORATION] MF253V
    ~  mmcli --modem=2                                                                                                                                             ✔ 

--------------------------------
  General  |                 path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/2
           |            device id: c16f240438c83f613effd415989ae197f8c2e458
  Hardware |         manufacturer: ZTE CORPORATION
           |                model: MF253V
           |    firmware revision: BD_ENROMF253VV1.0.0B05
           |            supported: lte
           |              current: lte
           |         equipment id: 866580049407798
  System   |               device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3
           |              drivers: option
           |               plugin: zte
           |         primary port: ttyUSB2
           |                ports: ttyUSB0 (qcdm), ttyUSB1 (at), ttyUSB2 (at)
  Status   |       unlock retries: sim-pin (2), sim-puk (10)
           |                state: registered
           |          power state: on
           |          access tech: 1xrtt, evdo0, lte
           |       signal quality: 100% (recent)
  Modes    |            supported: allowed: 2g; preferred: none
           |                       allowed: 3g; preferred: none
           |                       allowed: 4g; preferred: none
           |                       allowed: 2g, 3g, 4g; preferred: none
           |              current: allowed: 4g; preferred: none
  IP       |            supported: ipv4, ipv6, ipv4v6
  3GPP     |                 imei: 866580049407798
           |          operator id: 60301
           |        operator name: 00410030003 006D003
           |         registration: home
           | packet service state: attached
  3GPP EPS | ue mode of operation: csps-1
  SIM      |     primary sim path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/2

yes. that’s it

the web interface just has the sms sending page, but there is no ussd sending page.

I don’t think this is geared up to provide telephony access to your computer quite the way you’re thinking (although I could be mistaken in this assumption).

There is an RJ11 connector on the back of the unit which is meant for connecting an IP phone or VoIP device of some kind; usually you might pay a small amount extra to use that (mine cost $10 per month on top of the Internet service).

The internet provider might supply a phone receiver; or at least recommend the types you can buy and use with the service. Beyond that, I don’t know how you might otherwise tap directly into that feature from an application within Linux. Perhaps the User Manual will reveal something useful.

Cheers.

1 Like

Seconding @soundofthunder. The datasheets for the modem indicate that it can do phone calls, but it only exposes this over the RJ11 interface. Over the USB and Network interfaces, it doesn’t expose it.

So get a phone/headset that can plug into the RJ11 socket, and that’s it. Or get a 56k PC modem that’s capable of voice calls, connect that into the RJ11 socket, and it should work.

1 Like

The downside of that is that you would need a landline, which I’m guessing might be something the OP prefers to avoid. In the mid to late 90’s there were no shortage of applications available for telephony using a 56K modem; Winfax (related) software comes immediately to mind. But, that was then.

Interesting, it seems it can work in two modes depending on if it is usb connected or not, i only thought this is typical for some smaller devices.
Anyway, it does not change anything said so far. It either support it in usb mode or not (the router mode is clear - just connect a phone to the port and try - dial a number and hit #), i did not search in the specification as dgdg but i would do a simple test if i were you - just start gnome-calls - it tells right away if it sees modem on first start
modem

1 Like

Thank you.
the gnome-calls app now is detecting the modem and showing the contact list.
but after i try to dial to a number it ends the call quickelly?

No idea, i have no modem to test at the moment.

1 Like

i think the modem may be blocking calling when not connecting a phone via rj11?

and gnome calls doesn’t have the ussd and sms options.
is there any alternative that have those options?

edit: i was wrong. gnome-calls has the option to send sms when right clicking a contact. but i cant find a page to show the current sms on sim.
when clicing send sms the box: “device to send sms with” is empty

Not in this case - the 56K modem would be for connecting to the RJ11 on the ZTE 253v, which would translate it to VoLTE.

That actually sounds like the settings of VoLTE may not be right on the modem itself, or you might not have a SIM that allows for phone calls. But unless this is something that works with another OS, I think we’re in the territory of “you’d be better off asking for help from somewhere with more telephony people”.

1 Like

i think that this is the problem
i will try to make it connecting with 3g and test.

edit: i have tested but the same result.
when i right click “send sms” it takes me to “kde connect” why is this happening? i think it should handle this action with gnome-calls? can i change the default app of this type of actions?

edit2: i can send ussd codes just from the dialer itself. but it is not receiving the outpu message, i find it in the router sms page

I will repost this

You can get some ideas. I have done ussd codes through at commands many years ago. It is generally a pain to make scripts for each command, bun once done it works.
If you need some inspiration you can look here
https://nethelpforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=153
It is 10 year old, written for Openwrt, and for different mobile operator but some at commands will never change. Use google translate, and ipk is just a tar archive (you need the source, ignore pretty much everything else)

1 Like

The main thing that comes to mind is “does your SIM support voice calls/texts?”

As in, if you’ve bought this as a mobile data hotspot thing, your carrier might not give you calls/texts. Other than that, I think you probably have to ask somewhere where people are generally more knowledgeable about computer telephony. The Manjaro forums likely don’t have that expertise.

1 Like

In principle, I suppose, but in practice - :man_shrugging: - though admittedly I’m limited to personal experience with telephony. The next possible hurdle would be finding classic telephony applications for Linux that’s are fit for purpose; though I’m sure they must exist.

@ardv

The best I can offer is to echo:

1 Like

thank you for your help and information, I have benefited lot from your help.
my sim can makes calls and sms.
and for gnme-calls, after reconnecting the modem now i can call with it, but i cant hear the one i called and he cant here me.

when i open gnome-calls the icon shown in the taskbar is not the one that should be:
why is this happening?
and when i click the sound icon in the down panel and in the applications tab there no “gnome-calls” from where i can change the volume.
i tried to change to manjaro-pipewire but the same thing is happening

Many are asking the same question. Here’s what others have to say:

Cheers.

1 Like