A software to use manjaro as a phone with LTE modem

I’m using a ZTE 4G modem and i want to use manjaro to control ussd and phone calls with that modem, is there any software that can do this?

I don’t know - a list of common application

1 Like

Any of these: Jitsi, Mumble, Jami, GnuGk, Linphone, FreeSwitch, Asterisk, Wire, Kamailio, Ekiga, qTox, or Empathy might do what you need. Which of those are available for Manjaro, I can’t say, but here’s a great opportunity to (as Yoda never said) use the Search to see what information you can find.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

1 Like

Modem manager can send ussd codes.
Gnome calls should handle the calling.

1 Like

gnome-calls work with VoIP, it ask a server and username and i cant find in my modem the options for VoIP.

and for modemmanager: i/m having problem with it. i will open a thread for its issue.

I have only used mobile modems for data so far, so my info is from the internet, but Gnome calls should support normal phone calls. However, it uses modemmanager for this, so it has to work first. So maybe it hides that option from you, i do not know.
Which on the other hand means all you need for calls is modem manager and a sim card and modem supporting voice calls and the modem to support voice over usb (not all do) and according to some guides you should be able to make and receive calls from command line (or gnome calls as gui).
Also see what i wrote here.

Almost certainly not, as I would doubt the hardware is capable of it. 4G is a data first standard, and the part of the spec that implements voice calls, VoLTE, is not mandatory. As you haven’t specified exactly what modem you have, I can’t be sure, but I don’t think ZTE makes any computer modem with VoLTE.

Your best bet for voice calls on a computer would be to use a VoIP service.

1 Like

mo modem is: ZTE 253v

…which is exactly why in this forum the motto is “provide information first before we try to help”.
This is not a pci or usb device…this is a home router/modem, standalone device. For your os it is just another router or wifi network, it cannot even know it is lte modem. So of course, everything mentioned up until now for modemmanager etc. that relies of direct connection on some usb or serial port does not apply.
In that particular case, i would say - for ussd and sms there is probably a interface in the modem web settings, and for telephony - just connect a normal wired phone that costs 10 Euro to it. If that voice service is active on your sim card, that is (only you can know what ist in your contract with the mobile network provider).

In theory, there is probably a way to remote control the modem and the provided services throught tr069, or telnet or ssh and at commands and to reroute the voice part and control it from pc (have not done it, cannot help), but such “reverse engineering” is beyond the scope of this forum and beyond your abilities.

2 Likes

“This is not a pci or usb device”
this is an usb device
and ModemManager detects it
and when i write these commads:

mmcli --scan-modems
mmcli --list-modems
mmcli --modem=0

it detects it and print its information

Is this your device?

1 Like

What information?

1 Like

i was far from it, now i attached it and this is the outpu:

mmcli --list-modems                                                                                                                                         ✔ 

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/2 [ZTE CORPORATION] MF253V
    ~  mmcli --modem=2                                                                                                                                             ✔ 

--------------------------------
  General  |                 path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/2
           |            device id: c16f240438c83f613effd415989ae197f8c2e458
  Hardware |         manufacturer: ZTE CORPORATION
           |                model: MF253V
           |    firmware revision: BD_ENROMF253VV1.0.0B05
           |            supported: lte
           |              current: lte
           |         equipment id: 866580049407798
  System   |               device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3
           |              drivers: option
           |               plugin: zte
           |         primary port: ttyUSB2
           |                ports: ttyUSB0 (qcdm), ttyUSB1 (at), ttyUSB2 (at)
  Status   |       unlock retries: sim-pin (2), sim-puk (10)
           |                state: registered
           |          power state: on
           |          access tech: 1xrtt, evdo0, lte
           |       signal quality: 100% (recent)
  Modes    |            supported: allowed: 2g; preferred: none
           |                       allowed: 3g; preferred: none
           |                       allowed: 4g; preferred: none
           |                       allowed: 2g, 3g, 4g; preferred: none
           |              current: allowed: 4g; preferred: none
  IP       |            supported: ipv4, ipv6, ipv4v6
  3GPP     |                 imei: 866580049407798
           |          operator id: 60301
           |        operator name: 00410030003 006D003
           |         registration: home
           | packet service state: attached
  3GPP EPS | ue mode of operation: csps-1
  SIM      |     primary sim path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/2

yes. that’s it

the web interface just has the sms sending page, but there is no ussd sending page.

I don’t think this is geared up to provide telephony access to your computer quite the way you’re thinking (although I could be mistaken in this assumption).

There is an RJ11 connector on the back of the unit which is meant for connecting an IP phone or VoIP device of some kind; usually you might pay a small amount extra to use that (mine cost $10 per month on top of the Internet service).

The internet provider might supply a phone receiver; or at least recommend the types you can buy and use with the service. Beyond that, I don’t know how you might otherwise tap directly into that feature from an application within Linux. Perhaps the User Manual will reveal something useful.

Cheers.

1 Like

Seconding @soundofthunder. The datasheets for the modem indicate that it can do phone calls, but it only exposes this over the RJ11 interface. Over the USB and Network interfaces, it doesn’t expose it.

So get a phone/headset that can plug into the RJ11 socket, and that’s it. Or get a 56k PC modem that’s capable of voice calls, connect that into the RJ11 socket, and it should work.

1 Like

The downside of that is that you would need a landline, which I’m guessing might be something the OP prefers to avoid. In the mid to late 90’s there were no shortage of applications available for telephony using a 56K modem; Winfax (related) software comes immediately to mind. But, that was then.

Interesting, it seems it can work in two modes depending on if it is usb connected or not, i only thought this is typical for some smaller devices.
Anyway, it does not change anything said so far. It either support it in usb mode or not (the router mode is clear - just connect a phone to the port and try - dial a number and hit #), i did not search in the specification as dgdg but i would do a simple test if i were you - just start gnome-calls - it tells right away if it sees modem on first start
modem

1 Like

Thank you.
the gnome-calls app now is detecting the modem and showing the contact list.
but after i try to dial to a number it ends the call quickelly?