A few things about the new forum

Btw. what is really anoying is that you can’t see who replies to who if there’s no quote. I guess this is so there can’t be made mistakes by replying to the wrong post.

Yes, it was, but all members should normally be capable of that, save perhaps the TL0s.

It depends on which Reply button you click. If you click the button inside of someone’s post, then there will be an arrow pointing at the person you’ve replied to, and if you click that, then you also get to see the exact post.

If on the other hand you click the generic Reply button at the bottom ─ currently blue here at my end, in the dark theme ─ then it goes to the thread in general and not to the person you’re actually replying to. :wink:

What I meant was:

I also thought this was a TL3 feature on the previous forum, but not sure.

Indeed, it usually does do that, but there are instances where I reply to a person and I can see that when I edit the post, but the arrow is not shown outside the edit screen.

Yep I can confirm that too, pretty sure I replied to people and the arrow is not showing, I THINK, if you reply directly to someone from the proper reply button, but your post is the direct post after the one you’re replying to.
Not sure if that makes sense but now I think about it this is what happened at least twice today to me.

EDIT: someone direct reply to me with the proper button in my post without quoting me and see if this is the case.

1 Like

Like this? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oops, I must apparently type at least 20 characters. Now that is certainly new. :thinking:

Edit: No arrow. :thinking:

Yep seems confirmed. Also noticed the 20 char limit today but though it was maybe the same before :smiley:

EDIT: I direct replied to you too :wink: so yeah if you direct reply to last message it doesn’t show the arrow, not same behavior as before for sure, it was ALWAYS having the arrow before.

Yes, I seem to remember that too. :thinking:

It might just be a setting in the configuration of the forum. :man_shrugging:

only view top right avatar if is not the following message ?

That’s what it looks like now, yes.

Thanks for confirming.

I disagree though with the hidden edits, if the concern is in case you write things you regret, then maybe do not write inappropriate things, and you can still request a post deletion anyway.

I think it was a great feature to see what changed in a post you read one hour ago or the day before (edits less than 5 minutes after posting don’t even show FYI). It is not rare that people come back to add more information, change an erroneous information, or completely change the content of their post which then makes you the one who write unrelated things. Having this edit history available only adds to the forum.

Ok if you have bad behavior on the forum then regret talking crap to people, then yeah maybe in that case people can see you wrote crap. But I don’t get removing a nice feature in case of user bad behavior and then regrets (anyway post deletion exist).

I thought the dark mode on the previous forum was pretty ugly. Too much light grey. I enabled my own style via stylus addon. I think this dark mode is actually really nice. Hope they keep it as an option if the new one is quite different.

I think that there are simply a lot of options with regard to setting up Discourse, and that the ones who did it this time may not have remembered all of the settings from the old forum. After all, that was Jonathon’s area.

I actually liked the dark mode of the previous forum, but this one does look a little more modern. I like it. :slight_smile:

Edit: Except for the white background of the smileys you stick to a post, of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

The clear theme is under development. The dark theme will be done after the light theme is finalized - at the moment, for dark, it is a generic discourse theme.

1 Like

5 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 4 hours unless flagged)

Well, I think everyone should have the right to regret, but that isn’t the only issue. On the old forum, I once posted a screenshot with personal information (mine) which I didn’t want to share. I edited the post, but everyone could still see it. So I had to ask one mod to actually delete it. This wasn’t an easy task to him.

1 Like

From my quick searches, apparently Discourse could be configured to let user remove their edits history. This way the best of both worlds, edit history available, and people could remove their edit history in case they regret posting something.

EDIT: I have a current perfect example, I receive notification, someone replied something to me, but then he decided to remove it before I went back home to check. Now I can’t see what he wrote. This is just an annoyance but my other examples above are better :smiley:

1 Like

Another issue I noticed, first it says 4 hours when it was 24 hours on old forum, but it apparently doesn’t delete the message anyway.

EDIT: but I see my message before him was posted 23 hours ago, so let see if after 24 hours it removes Ben’s message

delete his post worked for me (after 24 hours)

I don’t see it as perfect example… he decided to remove it… exactly for that…for you don’t or anyone see it…
It’s maybe an annoyance for you… but it’s the poster choice… and poster choice should be 1st… (privacy).

And no. Edit history should not be accessible for any user… just sysadmin or official moderator and not for any level every user could achieve.

4 Likes