A few theme problems in Sway

i see, to late now. i just went ahead & modified the exiting.
i’ll most likely do that on a fresh install, i’m currently running from a usb flash drive on my rpi400 & since i’ve now gotten use to sway a bit, i’m thinking i want to run it from ssd.
i use the manjaro-arm-installer so it takes awhile.
i’ll catch you guys later.

give pines a hand, i’m not getting through.

well that sucks, looks like manjaro-arm-installer sway is broken, going to have to do a minimal & build up.

guess I’m done with sway, no install options for my rpi400. i messed up my working version.
the version 20 has no wifi & the manjaro-arm-installer is broken.
i can do an xfce install & add sway, but thats not the same.
maybe i go back to I3?

We have a RPI4 version on GH that should also work with the Pi400 AFAIK: GitHub - manjaro-arm-community/sway-images

The ManjaroARM installer should work with the testing branch as I have already pushed changes to move from termite (deprecated) to foot terminal (which is currently in testing only)

man i was looking all over for an image, that just never came up in the search.
i resorted to grabbing the i3. thanks for the link. i’ll kill this i3 install lol

1 Like

alright got it & writing to ssd. see ya in a bit.

i’m back up, i copied my 00-user.conf & my waybar config from the usb that wouldn’t boot.
so i just have to do the theming.

the default terminal is fine.
add this to your to your 00-user.conf, then save, then alt+shift+c to reload, then you can use the print key for screen shots, there saved in pictures.

bindsym Print exec grimshot save screen ~/Pictures/$(date +%H-%m-%s).png

sway just takes time to learn, most of it is editing the file correctly.

how to set foot in definitions?

Ok, great. I have seen the liner in your previous post. I doubted to add because the readme file of manjaro sway already has a shortcut for taking screeenshot.

I will add the line.

I am with Manjaro testing I suppose. I haven’t receive the foot terminal as an update. Do I have to switch myself?

For the upgrade to foot you have to change a bunch of config files on your existing sway installation (new images will come with these settings automatically).

The changes can be found here: https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/applications/arm-profiles/-/commit/4121b7eb0529f16d21f1398931d5e80e74ae3d98

Hi there,

I am just updating you with my efforts to change the fonts of Manjaro Sway. I have been experimenting with changing the font size, type etc. I realize my changes to the config files are not counted. E.g., I change the font size to 14 and observe no changes in gui fonts. I am using the 00-user.conf file as suggested in the thread.

I am on Manjaro testing; I suspect it may be a bug or something. Otherwise, any suggestions on changing the fonts? I believe the relevant lines are below:

gsettings set $gnome-schema font-name “Cantarell 14”

set $gui-font Cantarell 14

I am changing the font size to 16 or trying “Noto Sans”. After a refresh/reboot I see no difference.

The font configuration is done in various places: there are GTK 2/3 font settings, QT font settings, waybar and termite/foot terminal font settings…

So we have check each of them individually. The default configuration is defined in /etc/sway/themes/matcha-green/definitions. It defines 2 variables: gui-font and term-font. During the log in process the scripts in /etc/sway/config.d/ get executed and uses those variables and the templates in /etc/sway/themes/templates to create the following config files in your user folder:

$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0,
$HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini,
$HOME/.config/gtk-4.0/settings.ini,
$HOME/.config/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf

So either you change the values in those theme defaults or you disable these startup scripts and maintain the existing copies in your user folder manually…

AFAIK the QT font settings are the only ones that doesn’t work with these startup scripts and I will remove it for the next stable build

like he said:
gedit admin:///etc/sway/themes/matcha-green/definitions

you can also create a script to make editing easier.

also if your going to change the system wide settings you don’t need the settings in 00-user.conf.

I might opt-in to move all startup scripts from /etc/sway/config.d to $HOME/.config/sway/config.d/ with the next release so it will be easier to adapt them to your needs…

i have mine setup the way you suggested. i copied the matcha-blue folder & just changed the dark to light

1 Like

also, why not gnome-terminal?
nautilus without gnome-terminal does not have the “open terminal here” option. not a big for me, i can just create a script & i also use “nautilus-terminal” for embedded terminal.
others might look for it though, the less cli inclined or just have no idea about ranger.