A conflict notice during pacman -Syuu update regarding 'kernel - nvidia'

I’m using Manjaro on a dedicated machine to learn about Manjaro (Arch) and how to keep the kernel-nvidia (shim) properly compiled and in sync. (Due to Manjaro’s excellent reputation in dealing with nvidia/kernel issues)

During a update I see this - looking for conflicting packages…
Packages (2) linux65-6.5.13-6 linux65-nvidia-545.29.06-12 - .

Being aware of the potential problems (due to good backups) I installed the packages, rebooted everything works well. I would like to know…
What steps do professional Manjaro users take to make sure everything goes smoothly when this warning appears?
I have read about this subject here in this forum and on different venues, but the variables are so vast. It is my hope that your tutor-age can help focus my direction. What I have done in the past is put a hold on these updates. Is that the best solution?
-You would be shocked how great a flood of knowledge can be created by a little nudge-

This is why you don’t keep EOL kernels on Manjaro. The stable update announcements tell you when kernels reach EOL.

3 Likes

Thanks, I installed Linux 6.6, but before I did, I seen the same msg.
This is what I saw…
looking for conflicting packages…
Packages (2) linux66-6.6.7-4 linux66-nvidia-545.29.06-24

I fail to see what the problem here is.

pacman is looking for conflicting packages, and then goes on to list the packages it’s going to update and/or install.

This is the output I get right now if I do sudo pacman -Syu

sudo pacman -Syu                                                                                                ✔  15s  
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (10) directx-headers-1.611.0-1  lib32-openssl-1:3.2.0-1  lib32-vulkan-icd-loader-1.3.273-1  libbpf-1.3.0-1  mkinitcpio-37.1-2
              openssh-9.6p1-1  openssl-3.2.0-1  qt5-base-5.15.11+kde+r148-1  vulkan-headers-1:1.3.273-1  vulkan-icd-loader-1.3.273-1

Total Download Size:    23.04 MiB
Total Installed Size:  115.08 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        1.70 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
1 Like

Post whole output, not just some parts. And properly format it with </> button or between 3 backticks (```).

1 Like

I understand what you are saying, thanks… :blush:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux66                                                                                ✔
[sudo] password for tik:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 multilib is up to date
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) linux66-6.6.7-4  linux66-nvidia-545.29.06-24

Total Download Size:   183.14 MiB
Total Installed Size:  187.92 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y

Literally there are NO conflicting packages as the next line is empty.

1 Like

Don’t use -Syuu or -Syyu or any of those combinations, the correct way for a completely normal update is sudo pacman -Syu and nothing else.

1 Like

@Tik the packages listed after “Packages (10)” is not the list of conflicts. It is the list of packages to be installed/updated/removed. Any conflicts would appear as a warning.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.