7zip context menu in Dolphin, KDE Plasma

Hi, all.

I’ve got a problem with enabling 7zip context menu in Dolphin on KDE Plasma.

On my other PC, where I have XFCE, 7zip is installed and every time I right click in Dolphin, I have 7zp context menu.

But on my laptop, where I have KDE Plasma (latest), after I installed 7zip in exactly the same way as in XFCE, the 7zip context menu in Dolphin never shows up.

Also, the 7zip context menu never shows in Thunar on either KDE Plasma or XFCE.

Does anyone knows the reason for such behaviour and how to fix this.

thank you

For Thunar: Do you have thunar-archive-plugin installed?

The Thunar Archive Plugin allows you to create and extract archive files 
using the file context menus in the Thunar file manager. 
pamac install thunar-archive-plugin

I haven’t a clue regarding Dolphin/Plasma…

1 Like

For Dolphin, go to Hamburger Menu > Configure > Configure Dolphin > Context Menu > Download New Services.
Then search for ‘7zip’ and install ‘7zip Service’ by frank98rh → 7zip Service.tar.gz
Then enable the 7z menus in ‘Context Menu’ window

2 Likes

Thank you for the post.

The instructions don’t seam to work.

The problem is that when you click install, you can select only one of the three options:

• install compress;
  • install extract;
  • install 7zip tar.gz

When I select compress, than I have the compress. When extract than I’ll have only extract :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

the third option doesn’t install anything. it simply puts the file archive into the folder, and when I unpack it, I get the compress & extract .desktop files but they are not in the context menu :slight_smile:

You can try putting the 7z-extract.desktop and 7z-compress.desktop files in ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/ folder.

The extract menu appears when you right click an archive file. And the compress menu appears when you right click a selection or right click a blank spot.

I’m testing the same thing on fedora, but I suppose the same use case applies,
I installed p7zip-gui in dnf, then looked up the package contents using dnf repoquery -l p7zip-gui-16.02-26.fc39.x86_64
it shows the service menus are installed in /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/

To be more exact:

/usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus$ dir
... p7zip_compress.desktop
p7zip_extract_to.desktop
p7zip_extract.desktop
p7zip_test.desktop ...

All that is needed is to symlink it to where dolphin applies service menus for local users at /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/ by running the following:

cd /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/
sudo ln -s $(pwd)/p7zip_compress.desktop /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/p7zip_compress.desktop
sudo ln -s $(pwd)/p7zip_extract.desktop /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/p7zip_extract.desktop
sudo ln -s $(pwd)/p7zip_extract_to.desktop /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/p7zip_extract_to.desktop
sudo ln -s $(pwd)/p7zip_extract_subdir.desktop /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/p7zip_extract_subdir.desktop
sudo ln -s $(pwd)/p7zip_test.desktop /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/p7zip_test.desktop

No necro-bumping, please. And Manjaro is not Fedora, nor is Fedora Manjaro.