5.10 hibernate: image allocation fail

What would be one of those native tools?

# pamac search base-devel |grep devel
meta-group-base-devel                               202001281517-1         AUR 
    Metapackage for all the base-devel group.
base-devel-selinux                                  1-1                    AUR 
    Meta package that substitutes base-devel group

So, with what I thought was the correct tool, I cannot see any package named base-devel, except the one mentioned that I was told is not the right one.

Anyhow, I’ve made a discovery. The issue happens if I save the state of a virtual box vm before hibernating the host. And it’s not just like hibernate cannot be done right after a save state. It can be hours between me saving the state of a vm until I do hibernate, and the hibernate will fail. However, if I quit some other program after the VM was saved, I can hibernate.

So to replicate:
Start pc
Start some programs i.e. firefox, libreoffice calc, qualculate, …
Start a virtual box vm (so far only tested windows guests)
Save the state of the vm.
Keep doing something with the programs that are running. (read websites, work on some spread sheets, …)
Hibernate the system - it will fail and soon provide lock screen.
Unlock the pc.
Start terminal
Look for ram and swap space usage (‘free -h’), realize there is more than enough free swap space to dump all ram content.
Hibernate the system - it will fail again
Unlock the pc
Quit any of the running programs i.e. qualculate
Hibernate the system - now it works.

will find all the members of that group - as well as the AUR package

which you found - which is NOT what you want.

You just happened to limit the output (what you get to see) with the use of your grep command.

Oh. So I’m not supposed to see any package by that name, just the group members?

# pamac search base-devel
which                                                                              [Installed] 2.21-5                 core 
    A utility to show the full path of commands
texinfo                                                                            [Installed] 6.7-3                  core 
    GNU documentation system for on-line information and printed output
sudo                                                                               [Installed] 1.9.5.p2-1             core 
    Give certain users the ability to run some commands as root
sed                                                                                [Installed] 4.8-1                  core 
    GNU stream editor
pkgconf                                                                            [Installed] 1.7.3-1                core 
    Package compiler and linker metadata toolkit
patch                                                                              [Installed] 2.7.6-8                core 
    A utility to apply patch files to original sources
pacman                                                                             [Installed] 5.2.2-4                core 
    A library-based package manager with dependency support
make                                                                               [Installed] 4.3-3                  core 
    GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs
m4                                                                                 [Installed] 1.4.18-3               core 
    The GNU macro processor
libtool                                                                            [Installed] 2.4.6+42+gb88cebd5-14  core 
    A generic library support script
gzip                                                                               [Installed] 1.10-3                 core 
    GNU compression utility
groff                                                                              [Installed] 1.22.4-4               core 
    GNU troff text-formatting system
grep                                                                               [Installed] 3.6-1                  core 
    A string search utility
gettext                                                                            [Installed] 0.21-1                 core 
    GNU internationalization library
gcc                                                                                [Installed] 10.2.0-6               core 
    The GNU Compiler Collection - C and C++ frontends
gawk                                                                               [Installed] 5.1.0-1                core 
    GNU version of awk
flex                                                                               [Installed] 2.6.4-3                core 
    A tool for generating text-scanning programs
findutils                                                                          [Installed] 4.8.0-1                core 
    GNU utilities to locate files
file                                                                               [Installed] 5.39-1                 core 
    File type identification utility
fakeroot                                                                           [Installed] 1.25.3-2               core 
    Tool for simulating superuser privileges
bison                                                                              [Installed] 3.7.3-1                core 
    The GNU general-purpose parser generator
binutils                                                                           [Installed] 2.36.1-2               core 
    A set of programs to assemble and manipulate binary and object files
automake                                                                           [Installed] 1.16.3-1               core 
    A GNU tool for automatically creating Makefiles
autoconf                                                                           [Installed] 2.71-1                 core 
    A GNU tool for automatically configuring source code
meta-group-base-devel                                                                          202001281517-1         AUR 
    Metapackage for all the base-devel group.
base-devel-selinux                                                                             1-1                    AUR 
    Meta package that substitutes base-devel group with SELinux support

pamac output is not very clear in that regard
but then again: you searched for “base-devel” - so it will show you what it found …

If you use:
pacman -Ss base-devel
the output will show these packages
along with which group they belong to (in curved brackets)

… and it will not confuse you by showing you AUR packages along with the standard repo packages

Thanks.
I used 5.9.16 as oldconfig for 5.11.6. Said no to everything new and started compiling. This seems to take forever. There are so many modules enabled in that my 3GB of free temp space ran out! And even with 8 cores working on this the progress seems way slower than when I compile kernels on my single core gentoo vm’s on a 8 year old host with spinning harddrives!
Here is a huge potential for more light weight kernel configs.

You know your hardware - you can disable basically everything you don’t have.
Going through all these choices takes a lot of time.
Starting from scratch might be faster but will also take a long time.

make nconfig
or
make menuconfig
or
make xconfig

it has been some time since I did this

Then the compile time will be shorter - but at the cost of the time you put in to customize your config.
And then you encounter a piece of hardware you didn’t think of - and have to compile the kernel again to make it work …

IMO: there is potential for learning,
but also a huge potential for a lot of wasted time :wink:

make seemed to work, but then:

# make modules_install
sed: can't read modules.order: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:1420: _modinst_] Error 2

The only relevant result I found on google was to follow the instructions in an guide for arch linux. So I started blank, followed the arch instructions, and got to the same error.

Then I tried:

# make modules
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CALL    scripts/atomic/check-atomics.sh
  DESCEND  objtool
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  CHK     kernel/kheaders_data.tar.xz
  GEN     kernel/kheaders_data.tar.xz
make[1]: *** [kernel/Makefile:150: kernel/kheaders_data.tar.xz] Error 127
make: *** [Makefile:1800: kernel] Error 2

that info is a bit sparse

you didn’t build the whole thing (kernel) - but tried to build just the modules?

For me it’s so long ago that I don’t even know anymore (off the top of my head) where the kernel source usually is located.

… what did you do - and from where - which lead to this
… which kernel did you try to build - how did you configure it
nconfig, menuconfig, xconfig, oldconfig …
prior to running make …

From bash history, this is what I did:

mkdir /home/kernels
cd /home/kernels
bsdtar -xvf /tmp/linux-5.11.6.tar.xz
cd linux-5.11.6
make mrproper
cp ../config-5.9.16-1-manjaro .config
make oldconfig
## say N to everything, except for those asking for a number, which I left at default
make menuconfig
## Edit "CONFIG_LOCALVERSION"
make -j7
make modules_install

As far as I know, the ‘make’ command compiles everything. In case it didn’t, I tried make modules, but it failed as well.

Also

# ls -l */*.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root      0 mars  16 11:52 block/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root      0 mars  16 11:49 certs/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root   1770 mars  16 11:52 crypto/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root 161003 mars  16 12:34 drivers/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root   2518 mars  16 12:07 fs/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root      0 mars  16 11:49 init/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root      0 mars  16 11:49 ipc/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root     22 mars  16 11:50 mm/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root     85 mars  16 11:52 security/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root  15291 mars  16 12:02 sound/modules.order
-rw-r----- 1 root root      0 mars  16 11:48 usr/modules.order

So, the missing file is created in several folders, but it’s empty in several of those folders. And the error message doesn’t tell in which folder it’s looking for the file.

the arch guide says about this:

Installation

Warning: From this step onwards, commands must be either run as root or with root privileges. If not, they will fail.

as this will actually copy the generated modules to their proper location in /lib/modules and root is required to do that

You should also take care to set a custom name for your kernel - so it and it’s modules are not mixed up with already present versions.

edit: you did with make menuconfig
didn’t see it

also what caught my eye:

Why not create a directory in your /home/username - your actual home directory?
To do anything in
/home/kernels - and even to create that directory - root rights are already required
… which is … unnecessary
but this is, of course, your choice

I do all this as root.
I keep this out of my home directory in order to not fill my offsite backup with 3GB of data that is faster to download from the web than to recover from backup.

No idea what went wrong - could be the way you configured the build.
I always used
make menuconfig - and tried just now out of curiosity
Disabled most drivers in order to save time and only included stuff I actually have.
Compilation took ~10 minutes on an Core i5 with 8 GB Ram and make -j4
It went flawlessly.