40 gigs of memory space is running out for Manjaro and applications

I am a new Manjaro user since 6 weeks and the experience is fantastic. I had someone do the installation of Manjaro KDE plasma on my new computer. The computer has a 1000 gig drive for Manjaro and a second 1000gig drive for Windows.

However I am experiencing memory issues as my 40Gig space allocated for Manjaro and my application programs is running out of space. I installed les than 10 applications ( libre office, Darktable, ART …) and I do not understand why so much memory is required.

My system config is :

SW is : KDE plasma

Processor : 12x AMD Rysen 5 5500

RAM : 31gig

memory space :

600 gigs shared with Windows

250 gigs for Majaro data and application files

40 gigs for applacations and Manjaro See attached file

Two weeks ago, I notice that the system could not perform updates because of a lack of memory space.

I have reviewed the forum and found similar issues and found some usefull information : Running out of space, looking for a way to remove unnecessary files

I executed the following commands :

sudo pacman -Scc

paccache -rvk3

sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qtdq)

After running these commands, I only gained about 4 Gig out of 40 Gigs. One week later, I received a notice that updates could not be done because of lack of memory space.

Now, when I repeat the following commands, no memory space is gained. 0 Gigs remouved.

sudo pacman -Scc

paccache -rvk3

sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qtdq)

Would anybody have suggestions to help me with my memory space issue or to point me in the righ direction ?

Should I increase the memoty space to 60 Gigs?

Is there other things that can be done to resolve the situation?

Thank you for taking time to read my post and to provide me with directions.

Kind regards

Michel

By this I guess you mean root? ( / )

This keeps 3 package versions in cache … you may lower the number to 2, 1, or even 0 if you want nothing in the cache.

You shouldnt really run this blindly as its automatically removing everything marked as an orphan. While you may want to remove them … it is not necessarilly the case. If by some quirk of how things were installed/uninstalled … you may blindly remove something you rely on.

Coupled with your anecdote of only installing a few things … I wonder what and how.
Maybe you installed SNAP packages? They are known to be rather heavy.

snap list

For a more general look … please allow the following to finish, as it may take a few moments:

cd / && sudo du -Sh | sort -rh | head -20
1 Like

Welcome to the forum. How many Timeshift snapshots are you keeping?

1 Like

There’s a small tool called filelight (comes installed by default with manjaro).
It’s a graphical tool that shows you, by folders, the disk space used, you can browse through them to see what are the files taking space.
While this will not solve anything it might give you hints on what is taking up the space and where to look.

Example: if you see that the folder “thunderbird” is taking 5 gb, then might be a hint something is wrong there, you can go into the folder and dig in to see where are those exactly.

Before blindly deleting things, check those are really not used or you can mess your system.

As @cscs mentioned before, keeping several versions of updates might take a lot of space, if you do a full upgrade that could be around 1.5gb x 3 versions…
This setting can also be changed in pamac>preferences>general> number of versions on cache
In the same section it will tell you the space they are using and you can empty it from there.

1 Like

Thank-you CSCS for your fast reponse.
Here are the answers to your questions:

I installed Daktable, ART, Rawtherapee ( all 3 are photo editors about 100 megs each similar to GIMP), Libre-office, Thunderbird and a few other application such as chess game. I used the ADD/SUBSTRACT FUNCTION in Manjaro to find and install applications.

I ran the command and got the following result:

I ran the command and got the following result:

I hope that the information I provided will give you more insight in my memory space.
Thank-you for your help.
Have a good day!
Michel

Hi CSCS
I should have waited a little bit longuer, here is the response I got using

Kind regards
Michel

Throw an x in there, to restrict it to /.

sudo du -Shx / | sort -rh | head -20

Please don’t provide pictures of text. Copy the text and surround it with 3 backticks like so:

```
something
```

Which will give this:

something

I suggest you delete the last picture.

To @corconegre and @Takakage
Thank-you for your fast responses.
Here is some screen shoots of Filelight:
Overall view:

The detail view of the time shift files:

It appears that I have 5 timeshift files of 11 to 15 gigs. If I understand this correctly, I do not need to have so many copies.
Could you plaese indicate what is the recommended number of timeshift files to keep, how to delete them and how to manage them.

I remouved 2,8 gig of temporary files. Thanks for the hint.

Many thanks
Have a good day!
Michel

Hi dmt
Thank-you for your response. I have executed your commnd and here are the results:

…    /  sudo du -Shx / | sort -rh | head -20  :heavy_check_mark:  16m 8s 
[sudo] Mot de passe de michel :
1,9G /usr/lib
1,8G /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-03_18-00-01/localhost/var/tmp/pamac-build-michel/digikam-git/digikam/objects/pack
1,7G /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-03_18-00-01/localhost/usr/lib
906M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-26_18-00-06/localhost/usr/lib
734M /usr/bin
635M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-03_18-00-01/localhost/var/tmp/pamac-build-michel/libreoffice-dev-i18n
545M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-03_18-00-01/localhost/usr/share/fonts/TTF
541M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-03_18-00-01/localhost/usr/bin
457M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-03_18-00-01/localhost/usr/lib/dri
450M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-26_18-00-06/localhost/usr/lib/dri
442M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-03_18-00-01/localhost/var/cache/pkgfile
440M /var/cache/pkgfile
440M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-26_18-00-06/localhost/var/cache/pkgfile
426M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-04-23_08-00-01/localhost/var/cache/pkgfile
418M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-03_18-00-01/localhost/usr/lib32/dri
410M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-26_18-00-06/localhost/usr/lib32/dri
381M /usr/lib32
379M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-03_18-00-01/localhost/usr/lib32
347M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-05-26_18-00-06/localhost/usr/bin
337M /timeshift/snapshots/2023-04-28_14-00-01/localhost/var/cache/pkgfile

Would you have any suggestions? I am a new Linux Manjaro user and I am in learning mode.
Thank-you for your time and have a good day.
Michel

You did not answer this one, but:

Hi Andreas85,
It appears that I have 5 timeshift snapshoots of 11 to 15 gigs. See figure below. If I understand this correctly, I do not need to have so many copies.

If you have any suggestions on how to reduce or limit the number of Timeshift snapshoots, I would greathly appreciate your input .
Regards
Michel

I do have arround 50(!) Snapshots of / and 50(!) Snapshots of /home. But I do use btrfs as filesystem. And i do use snapper for snapshots, and i do use BackSnap for external backups ==> I really can’t help you with this.

But if you delete the oldest of these, you will gain enough in the first place.

Hi Andreas85,
Thank-you for yours suggestions. I need to get myself educated on Snapshots and how to manage them on Manjaro. I tried using the file manager Dolfin but I was not able to delete hese files.

Would you have any references you can point to me so that I can resolve my immediate problem by deleting the old snapshots?
Regards

Use the timeshift itself and delete snapshots from there (select and delete).

1 Like

Hi Dragan,
Thank-you for your reply, my problem is solved and I learned new things.
Have a good day !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.