340xx driver for 5.4 lts

Thank you for the provided instructions for nvidia 340xx compilation. They almost work. Unfortunately the provided dkms driver:

git clone https://github.com/philmmanjaro/nvidia-340xx-dkms.git

requires kernel > 5.5. I am currently using 5.4 lts. Do you suggest this to be replaced with a more recent kernel?

Just download the zst that he released and install it. https://github.com/philmmanjaro/nvidia-340xx-dkms/releases/download/340.108-1/nvidia-340xx-dkms-340.108-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

It works fine for 5.4.

I should also mention that it actually works also with later kernels like the latest 5.10. But oddly doesn’t work with 4.19.

1 Like

Thanks. The file creates a source tree that starts from /usr. Where exactly should I put that?

What do you mean?

You install a local package with sudo pacman -U <path to .pkg.tar.zst>

OK. Thanks. I am not so aware of Manjaro practices. Have been using only Debian for more than ten years.

Thx for the notice. I’ve updated the readme: GitHub - philmmanjaro/nvidia-340xx-dkms: NVIDIA driver sources for linux, 340xx legacy branch

Hello, I have a problem…

I need the 340xxx driver, I have kernels 4.19.163-1 LTS, 5.4.85-1 LTS and 5.10.2-2 installed,.

The 5.10 was installed automatically when I’ve launched an update (-Syyu), and then it destroyed everything… the system wasn’t launchig the GUI, as it often did when I did an update after a long period without updating (which was quite annoying IMO), I thought it was the same matter of uninstalling and reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, which usually worked… but no… until then I used the 5.7 (or 5.8 ?) kernel, which was the latest officially supporting the 340xxx drivers, and which just vanished after the 5.10’s installation.

I’ve downloaded and installed the dkms drivers, everything seems to have been done fine… but still, the drivers don’t show in the hardware setup window… the Nvidia utils are installed and seem to work fine.

Is there anything I can do ?

My PC is like 13 years old, a Core 2 Duo CPU with a GeForce 8800 GTS 512Mb and 4Gb of DDR2 RAM, running Manjaro XFCE… and the video-linux driver isn’t quite as good for gaming, and, for some reasons, Chromium (my main browser) seems to hate it (it’s often sluggish and near unusable when I watch videos in high quality o YouTube), while I had no issues with the Nvidia drivers.

So, if I can use the Nvidia drivers (even though I have to stay with an older kernel), can anyone tell me step by step what I have to do ? If I can simply do anything for the drivers to show up in the setup window ?

Hi @Devilman,

I think you issue is related to, or because of the latest update. It caused quite a few…interesting problems.

See here for more information.

And here.

Also here.

Perhaps check if the nouveau drivers are still being blacklisted.

You can try checking under /etc/modprobe.d/mhwd-gpu.conf if it’s blacklisted, if not just add an extra entry.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I did the steps in your second link, seemed to work, but I don’t understand how to use the patches in the third link, any clue will be welcome :slight_smile:

I opened the file with mousepad, all I’ve got is this :

Generated by mhwd - Manjaro Hardware Detection

What could/should I add ?

Just add a line ‘blacklist nouveau’, without the quotes.

It doesn’t change anything :frowning:

Did you reboot? If you did and the nvidia drivers didn’t load, probably the driver wasn’t compiled correctly, and you should try looking at the 2nd link again and retry compiling again. Just try reinstalling the dkms driver.

Yes, I’ve rebooted, and everything seemed fine on the compilation, except for the 4.19 kernel, but the rest seemed OK (5.4 and 5.10)…

If the drivers didn’t compile correctly and you blacklisted nouveau correctly, then more than likely you should have gotten a black screen and the gui wouldn’t load. Are you sure the drivers aren’t working? If you ‘modprobe nvidia’ does it throw up any errors?

If by “modprobe nvidia”, you mean typing “modprobe nvidia” in a terminal window, I get no error (but nothing happens neither)…