340xx driver for 5.4 lts

Thank you for the provided instructions for nvidia 340xx compilation. They almost work. Unfortunately the provided dkms driver:

git clone https://github.com/philmmanjaro/nvidia-340xx-dkms.git

requires kernel > 5.5. I am currently using 5.4 lts. Do you suggest this to be replaced with a more recent kernel?

Just download the zst that he released and install it. https://github.com/philmmanjaro/nvidia-340xx-dkms/releases/download/340.108-1/nvidia-340xx-dkms-340.108-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

It works fine for 5.4.

I should also mention that it actually works also with later kernels like the latest 5.10. But oddly doesnā€™t work with 4.19.

1 Like

Thanks. The file creates a source tree that starts from /usr. Where exactly should I put that?

What do you mean?

You install a local package with sudo pacman -U <path to .pkg.tar.zst>

OK. Thanks. I am not so aware of Manjaro practices. Have been using only Debian for more than ten years.

Thx for the notice. Iā€™ve updated the readme: GitHub - philmmanjaro/nvidia-340xx-dkms: NVIDIA driver sources for linux, 340xx legacy branch

Hello, I have a problemā€¦

I need the 340xxx driver, I have kernels 4.19.163-1 LTS, 5.4.85-1 LTS and 5.10.2-2 installed,.

The 5.10 was installed automatically when Iā€™ve launched an update (-Syyu), and then it destroyed everythingā€¦ the system wasnā€™t launchig the GUI, as it often did when I did an update after a long period without updating (which was quite annoying IMO), I thought it was the same matter of uninstalling and reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, which usually workedā€¦ but noā€¦ until then I used the 5.7 (or 5.8 ?) kernel, which was the latest officially supporting the 340xxx drivers, and which just vanished after the 5.10ā€™s installation.

Iā€™ve downloaded and installed the dkms drivers, everything seems to have been done fineā€¦ but still, the drivers donā€™t show in the hardware setup windowā€¦ the Nvidia utils are installed and seem to work fine.

Is there anything I can do ?

My PC is like 13 years old, a Core 2 Duo CPU with a GeForce 8800 GTS 512Mb and 4Gb of DDR2 RAM, running Manjaro XFCEā€¦ and the video-linux driver isnā€™t quite as good for gaming, and, for some reasons, Chromium (my main browser) seems to hate it (itā€™s often sluggish and near unusable when I watch videos in high quality o YouTube), while I had no issues with the Nvidia drivers.

So, if I can use the Nvidia drivers (even though I have to stay with an older kernel), can anyone tell me step by step what I have to do ? If I can simply do anything for the drivers to show up in the setup window ?

Hi @Devilman,

I think you issue is related to, or because of the latest update. It caused quite a fewā€¦interesting problems.

See here for more information.

And here.

Also here.

Perhaps check if the nouveau drivers are still being blacklisted.

You can try checking under /etc/modprobe.d/mhwd-gpu.conf if itā€™s blacklisted, if not just add an extra entry.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I did the steps in your second link, seemed to work, but I donā€™t understand how to use the patches in the third link, any clue will be welcome :slight_smile:

I opened the file with mousepad, all Iā€™ve got is this :

Generated by mhwd - Manjaro Hardware Detection

What could/should I add ?

Just add a line ā€˜blacklist nouveauā€™, without the quotes.

It doesnā€™t change anything :frowning:

Did you reboot? If you did and the nvidia drivers didnā€™t load, probably the driver wasnā€™t compiled correctly, and you should try looking at the 2nd link again and retry compiling again. Just try reinstalling the dkms driver.

Yes, Iā€™ve rebooted, and everything seemed fine on the compilation, except for the 4.19 kernel, but the rest seemed OK (5.4 and 5.10)ā€¦

If the drivers didnā€™t compile correctly and you blacklisted nouveau correctly, then more than likely you should have gotten a black screen and the gui wouldnā€™t load. Are you sure the drivers arenā€™t working? If you ā€˜modprobe nvidiaā€™ does it throw up any errors?

If by ā€œmodprobe nvidiaā€, you mean typing ā€œmodprobe nvidiaā€ in a terminal window, I get no error (but nothing happens neither)ā€¦