2 issues with Dash to dock extension

Hello,

I have 2 issues with the Dash to dock extension from Manjaro.

1. I don’t see the preview of the windows when I opened several instances of ‘Files’ (nautilus). When my cursor is hovered on ‘Files’ icon, nothing happens.

previewwindows1

I can see preview of the windows, when I do a right click on ‘Files’ icon and I choose all windows.

Why I can’t see preview of the windows when my cursor is hovered on ‘Files’ icon despite the ‘Show open windows previews’ option is enabled ?

showopenwindows

Note: I don’t know if the preview of the windows works if I open more instances of an other application on the dock.

1. I enabled the ‘Show mounted volumes and devices’ option. When I plug an usb key (for example), an icon appears on the dock but I don’t have a correct icon (for example an usb drive icon of the theme). It’s a white icon (with a wheel), so we can’t know if it’s an usb key who is mounted. I have the same problem with mounted volumes.

Is there a way to solve it ?

showmountedvolumes

Otherwise, I don’t meet other issues.

Thanks.

Regards.

I solved one of the 2 issues (the second).

The problem come from the source code. In the location.js file of the extension, there is a part of code who looks like this:

_getWorkingIconName(icon) {
if (icon instanceof Gio.EmblemedIcon) {
icon = icon.get_icon();
}
if (icon instanceof Gio.ThemedIcon) {
return ‘’;
} else {
return icon.to_string();
}
}

The problem is that part:

return ‘’;

It returns nothing.

So, to have a correct icon, the part code must be like this:

_getWorkingIconName(icon) {
if (icon instanceof Gio.EmblemedIcon) {
icon = icon.get_icon();
}
let names = icon.get_names();

return names[0];
} else {
return icon.to_string();
}
}

That’s good.

For the first issue, it seems to not be implemented yet. :frowning:

Note: Is a member of the Manjaro Team can modify the source code of the Dash to dock extension (from Manjaro) to solve the issue with the ‘show mounted volumes and devices’ icon problem ?

Thanks.

Open a Pull Request upstream. :wink:

@Yochanan: The ‘Show window previews on mouse hover’ option had been initiated but was never completed. Look this : Show window previews on mouse hover by franglais125 · Pull Request #574 · micheleg/dash-to-dock · GitHub
In this link, commits were made.

Several requests were made on the github to continue the work but without success. Could the Manjaro team have a look at this part if of course it is possible ?

Thanks.

Regards.

Unfortunately, there are conflicting files and that PR cannot be merged as is.

Ok. Using the right click on the icon to see preview windows is the only solution for now, but it is not very pratical. Hope the dash-to-dock extension will have the option to have preview windows with mouse hover later.

I close this subject.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.