2 gnome-keyring-daemon instances after enabling unlocking keyring after login?

Hi.

I’ve switched from Manjaro Gnome to Manjaro Sway. I’ve followed GNOME/Keyring - ArchWiki to initialize and unlock gnome-keyring at login. So far that seems to be working.

But I now seem to have 2 instances of gnome-keyring-daemon running:

1645       1  0 10:29 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login
1894    1635  0 10:29 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets

The second one was already present before I enabled unlocking at login.
IIRC, on Gnome I only had the first instance.

My question now is:

• could this 2nd instance create any problems or is that the expected behaviour on Manjaro Sway?
  • If yes, how would I prevent it from starting?

Thanks in advance

I also have this process running in the background in KDE by default so nothing wrong there.

According to Projects/GnomeKeyring/RunningDaemon - GNOME Wiki! :

The best place to start gnome-keyring-daemon is from the user’s login. This is done via a PAM module. When configured correctly the user does not need to enter any passwords beyond that of their login.

This basically helps you unlock both your session and keyring at the same time during login which is what you want to achieve.

But do you also have a second gnome-keyring-daemon process running like I do?

Maybe I did not express myself clearly enough before:

The default Manjaro Sway installation starts gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets.
This has 2 drawbacks for me. It doesn’t automatically unlock at login and it does not provide ssh-agent.

With the instructions from the Arch wiki (which contains the same info as the Gnome Wiki you linked) I can enable the necessary pam module and initialize gnome-keyring so that it unlocks at login and provides ssh-agent. And this is all working fine for now.

However, my previous system with Manjaro Gnome by default only started gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login, which already automatically unlocked the keyring at login and provided ssh-agent.

To be clear, the functionality I wanted is working.
It only seems to me that the 2nd process gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets is kind of superfluous now.
And I was wondering if it might cause any problems I haven’t noticed yet.

gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login is necessary if you want to unlock keyring during login.

When run with the --login option, gnome-keyring-daemon does not fully initialize. It expects to be initialized later by calling another gnome-keyring-daemon with the --start option.

AFAIK the first process is directly dependent on the second process. One way to find out would be to disable it and see if that makes a difference or not.

I had already done that - following Arch Wiki instructions.

But I had added the gnome-keyring-daemon --start it in my .zshenv.

I moved it to .profile and now there’s only the 1 gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login process left. So far, everything seems to be still working as intended.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.