Stuck in emergency mode after installing 6.8.5-1

[deleted by user]
[deleted by user]
[deleted by user]

No. It will continue to work for a while but unsupported means unsupported. It is EOL (end-of-life, done, dead). Also I see in your profile you have a NVidia card, driver updates for that will not be available for an EOL kernel.

The real question is why do you need to run a latest bleeding-edge kernel instead of 6.6 LTS which is recommended? That will be supported until at least Dec 2026.

1 Like

Just to be sure: you did (try to) enter the root password and not your user password, yes?

Appeal to Extremes :roll_eyes:

What you should expect is that a bleeding-edge kernel is more likely to have issues, and that they become EOL and unsupported so you need to install the next one on a regular basis. The most recent LTS kernel is the best choice for most users unless they have specific need for a newer or older kernel.

If you have Grub, can’t you just choose “Advanced options” instead of Manjaro and choose another kernel? And double-check your Root password while you are at it.

I mainly don’t use Manjaro kernels. I am on 6.8.5 from the AUR. The package is called linux-nitrous. It works for me. I don’t have Nvidia or Intel. But it mentions Skylake etc support and tries to load something for Intel at boot but of course fails. It boots fine, NTFS works, Snap works. Gaming works. I got curious because people reported problems with the above. I’ve seen none of it. Maybe there is other things but it’s only been a day of me running it.

Of course, AUR is not supported by the Manjaro team, you are on your own. Hasn’t stopped me yet! =)
You might have trouble with Nvidia and DKMS. When I had Nvidia I would install kernel and before rebooting also install TKG’s Nvidia-all. Nvidia drivers, you choose version. GitHub - Frogging-Family/nvidia-all: Nvidia driver latest to 396 series AIO installer choose DKMS. And then reboot.
I constantly forgot to install TKG’s drivers and rebooted anyway. It never loaded into graphical interface, it got stuck. So I booted another kernel and ran makepkg -si (add an r at the end if you want the compiled source or w/e removed after, it can be massive, like 15 gigs. So it would be makepkg -sir)

Then … why are you using that kernel?
Its specifically for newer intels.

Modified Linux kernel optimized for Skylake X and newer, compiled using clang

There are other kernels around … , and a plethora of company, brand, device, or use-case kernels.
zen, liqorix, and multiple linux-amd ones to name a few.

I already have those installed, the other kernels. I wanted a Clang kernel. And didn’t want to configure one myself, that takes a couple hours just disabling all the stuff I don’t need.
Which I had already spent on doing that day. Got tired of unticking boxes after an hour or two.

Can you stop posting images of text and post actual preformatted text?

No it’s not. Stable branch haven’t even had those updates yet.

1 Like

What rubbish. You asked if you were safe to continue using 6.7, I told you no and explained why. I then asked if you had a reason to be using a non-LTS kernel when the LTS one is quite clearly marked “Recommended” in Manjaro Settings Manager. For whatever reason you chose to take offence at that (how dare I question your choice of kernel).

Anyway, I have no interest in helping difficult people who think they know a lot more than they actually do. But for the sake of others I suggest you learn how use this forum properly and how to post text logs instead of screenshots. You should know that after 2.5 years.

2 Likes

This thread has gone on long enough and has degraded to insults.

Please be excellent to each other. :guitar: