Removed blacklisting of ntfs3 ... questions:

As i learned in this forum: use kernel driver ntfs3 and no more old ntfs-3g to access ntfs drives.

So today i commented out :

/etc/modprobe.d/disable-ntfs3.conf

I auto mount ntfs devices in /etc/fstab with no extra fs-parameter!

/dev/disk/by-uuid/8AD20C59D20C4C3F /run/media/john1/ntfs1 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Restarted the pc and thought . have a look what ntfs driver is used:

[john1@manjaro ~]$ sudo lsmod|grep -i ntfs
[sudo] Passwort für john1: 
[john1@manjaro ~]$ 

So no module ntfs3 is loaded but fuseblk is used as i see with blkid.

Then it got complicated to find out what driver fuseblk is using … gave up to and write this post.

I have NO troubles accessing ntfs devices!!

I would like to understand a little bit more of this topic!.

Thanks for your answers:

Info:

Generated on 2024-03-29 12:38:1711712284

#################### inxi -Fxzc0 ########################

System:
  Kernel: 6.1.80-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 13.2.1
  Desktop: Xfce v: 4.18.1 Distro: Manjaro base: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 81RS v: Lenovo Yoga S740-14IIL serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40709 WIN serial: <superuser required> UEFI: LENOVO
    v: BYCN39WW date: 05/28/2021
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 62.6 Wh (95.9%) condition: 65.3/62.0 Wh (105.3%) volts: 17.0 min: 15.4
    model: LGC L19L4PD2 status: full
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i7-1065G7 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Ice Lake rev: 5 cache:
    L1: 320 KiB L2: 2 MiB L3: 8 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1001 high: 1465 min/max: 400/3900 cores: 1: 1400 2: 400 3: 400 4: 1465 5: 400
    6: 1401 7: 1144 8: 1399 bogomips: 23968
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Iris Plus Graphics G7 vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-11
    bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX250] vendor: Lenovo driver: nvidia v: 550.54.14 arch: Pascal
    bus-ID: 2b:00.0
  Device-3: Chicony Integrated Camera driver: uvcvideo type: USB bus-ID: 3-5:5
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.11 driver: X: loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: nouveau
    dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: N/A
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: iris,nvidia,swrast platforms: active: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
    inactive: wayland,device-1
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: intel mesa v: 24.0.2-manjaro1.1 glx-v: 1.4
    direct-render: yes renderer: Mesa Intel Iris Plus Graphics (ICL GT2)
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Ice Lake-LP Smart Sound Audio vendor: Lenovo driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-icl
    bus-ID: 00:1f.3
  API: ALSA v: k6.1.80-1-MANJARO status: kernel-api
  Server-1: sndiod v: N/A status: off
  Server-2: PipeWire v: 1.0.3 status: active
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ice Lake-LP PCH CNVi WiFi driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus-ID: 00:14.3
  IF: wlp0s20f3 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter driver: r8152 type: USB bus-ID: 2-1.4:4
  IF: enp0s13f0u1u4 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: pan1 state: down mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel AX201 Bluetooth driver: btusb v: 0.8 type: USB bus-ID: 3-10:8
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 2 state: up address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.86 TiB used: 387.73 GiB (20.4%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Micron model: MTFDHBA1T0TCK size: 953.87 GiB temp: 53.9 C
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EARX-00N0YB0 size: 931.51 GiB type: USB
  ID-3: /dev/sdb vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler 2.0 size: 14.54 GiB type: USB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 57.85 GiB used: 38.69 GiB (66.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p8
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 259.5 MiB used: 132.8 MiB (51.2%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 16.67 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/nvme0n1p9
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (rpm): N/A
Info:
  Memory: total: 16 GiB note: est. available: 15.19 GiB used: 3.31 GiB (21.8%)
  Processes: 303 Uptime: 46m Init: systemd
  Packages: 2064 Compilers: clang: 16.0.6 gcc: 13.2.1 Client: Unknown Client: wrapper-2.0
    inxi: 3.3.33

You appear to have created the entry in fstab using gnome-disks.

Unless you have very specific requirements - you should not use fstab.

Using the auto parameter will make the system guess - if you absolutely must have the device in fstab - use ntfs3 instead of auto.

I am speculating - I have come to a point where I really have to find a Windows system and create a disk formatted with ntfs to be sure how the kernel handles this.

gvfs/kio should handle all the details - you should only need to access the device from the file manager for it to mount.

Luckily I have this Surface Pro X arm tablet with Windows.

Done and done.

Without further interaction - I can mount and read write the ntfs file system and gvfs mounts using ntfs3.

$ mount
[...]
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/sdj1 on /run/media/fh/New Volume type ntfs3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,uhelper=udisks2)

Whether it is kio or gvfs - no further configuration or setup needs to be done.

Unless of course you have games shared between Windows and Manjaro Linux - but that is not a recommendable setup - for various reasons.

But hey - I’m just a :fox_face: and a grumpy old man :grin:

1 Like

I am really lazy and have mp3 and Freepascal develop files on this ntfs device, so i auto mount it with gnome-disks via fstab … it was working for years now without issues. So i think ntfs3 is behind fuseblk, even if i don’t see ntfs3 in lsmod … its working ok!

Thanks for your answers

I dived into this - to brush up on ntfs - we cannot have that old knowledge floating around.

If you run blckid you will see the filesystem to be ntfs

$ sudo blkid /dev/sdk1
/dev/sdk1: LABEL="New Volume" BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="CAFE3B89FE3B6CB7" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="cc674937-00ea-4c22-b6a5-4ca81dcc7b4d"

The ArchLinux Wiki on [ntfs] tells us there is no userspace tools for ntfs3 so one has to sort to a custom package if one needs userspace tools.

The wiki also states that if you use mount - your need to specify ntfs3 using the -t option.

Since that is what fstab uses - you should move from auto to ntfs3 for your ntfs formatted device - to be sure you know which driver is used - I am assuming you still have the ntfs-3g package installed.

Perhaps the widely used auto with fstab - possibly stemming from creating the mount using gnome-disks and mounting to a non-existing mountpoint in /run/ tree is cause the frequently seen issues with members having issues mounting ntfs devices.

One can only guess …

The wiki also passed on the knowledge that you can default your block devices to use ntfs3 by means of an udev rule - see NTFS - ArchWiki

1 Like

I now changed the parameter “auto” to “ntfs3” in my fstab … and now i see:

/dev/nvme0n1p12 on /run/media/john1/ntfs1 type ntfs3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,iocharset=utf8,x-gvfs-show)

Also lsmod shows ntfs3 as loaded module.

I have still installed the package ntfs-3g because it is listed in gparted and i don’t want any trouble with that.

Backintime and clonezilla are there to rescue me if anythimg goes wrong … so i hope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Changed back to parameter “auto” instead of “ntfs3” in my fstab because even if mount shows “rw” i could not create|delete a file on the ntfs device … “never change a running system” especially with so poor knowledge as i have !!

This is why:

ntfs doesn’t have linux permissions, so they have to be faked and for that you need to say what user and group to mount as.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NTFS-3G#Linux_compatible_permissions

Here is how Thunar on XFCE mounts vie udisk i think if one clicks on NTFS volume from the file manager

/dev/nvme0n1p3 on /run/media/teo/Windows-SSD type ntfs3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,uhelper=udisks2)

And i do indeed can write on the ntfs. I do not know if it is a good idea though, i read somewhere ntfs3 could cause corruption, but i am not sure if that applies for older versions or is still valid…maybe someone can advise?

1 Like

That possibly stems from someone not knowing that ntfs3 is designed to prevent an NTFS volume from mounting (if the dirty bit is present).

It’s not too difficult to imagine some dumb-:duck: ranting “ntfs3 has corrupted my disk - wah wah wah” simply because they didn’t know any better.

The ntfs3 type should be specified when you’re certain that a volume is being mouted by ntfs3; and not by ntfs-3g, or something else. This applies whether using fstab, systemd units or any other method to mount a volume.

The main concern, I think, might be syntax, as not all tools that should use the ntfs3 type are necessarily using it; which suggests there’s quite some catchup to be done in some cases, considering we’ve had ntfs3 since it was introduced in kernel 5.15.x series.

That is my solution for using ntfs3 kernel driver:

deactivated blacklisting of ntfs3 in /etc/modprobe.d/ … if present

Change my /etc/fstab with entries like this:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/8AD20C59D20C4C3F /run/media/john1/ntfs1 ntfs3 defaults,nofail,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,noatime 0 0

Reboot … seems t be ok now :slight_smile:

But attention: ntfs3 will not mount any ntfs device with errors as i encountered:

Fehler im Attribut BITMAP der Masterdateitabelle (MFT) werden berichtigt.
Fehler in Volumebitmap werden berichtigt.

Fixed that error on my Win 10!

I think because of gparted, gnome-disk … you still need ntfs-3g so do not remove this package!

I believe ntfs-3g is only an optional dependency for those (I have not checked), and they should otherwise use ntfs3 or whatever the default driver happens to be.

The following link may interest you:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.