ZSH Auto suggestion of missing apps is not working in terminal

if i type vlc and hit enter, it is showing command not found…but previously it used to show ‘do you want to install vlc?’…something like this…Manjaro 20.2.1 (Gnome, kernel 5.10.2)

and also terminal bell isn’t working.

Do you have the zsh-autosuggestions package installed?

Yup it is

Gnome comes with it’s own manjaro zsh config

It is command_not_found_handler, a part of manjaro-zsh-config. It needs pkgfile, and so it’s associated pkgfile-update timer and service.

Checking those systemd units statuses would be a good start I guess.

systemctl status pkgfile-update.service                                          ✔ 
● pkgfile-update.service - pkgfile database update
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pkgfile-update.service; static)
     Active: inactive (dead)

systemctl status pkgfile-update.timer                                          3 ✘ 
● pkgfile-update.timer - pkgfile database update timer
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pkgfile-update.timer; enabled; vendor preset: disa>
     Active: active (waiting) since Tue 2021-01-05 16:42:53 IST; 1min 55s ago
    Trigger: Wed 2021-01-06 00:00:00 IST; 7h left
   Triggers: ● pkgfile-update.service

Jan 05 16:42:53 King systemd[1]: Started pkgfile database update timer.

I don’t know, looks OK to me.

Are you really sure your are sourcing /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-config in your .zshrc? And that /usr/share/zsh/functions/command-not-found.zsh is really there?

How about manually updating with

sudo pkgfile -u

Hey! updating pkgfile manually worked…thnx! :grinning:

And any idea about terminal bell??

What is it? The “bip” sound? If yes, it’s within gnome-terminal preferences.

If you mean the audible bell, I believe "System Sounds" in Gnome-settings >> Sound, must be on and to a noticeable level in order for than kind of sounds to work. By default it’s off.

Yes it is on…bt no audible sound is there when I press random keys

Yes everything is turned on…sound level is high

`echo -e "\a"`

this produces a beep in terminal…but if I press down or forward arrow it doesn’t…in ubuntu there was a beep there too

Sorry, I don’t know. You could check out Ubuntu’s .bashrc and see if they use any custom config for that, maybe sourcing “beep” program on certain events.

Sounds annoying as hell anyway, a beep from almost any key press.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.