Zen installer

Hi, I tried Zen installer a few week ago as I wanted a faster lean boot and an easy way to install arch. It worked ok. It was faster to boot by some margin. I chose to install pamac, but found to my horror that what I wanted to install was restricted. So, I reinstalled with Zen and did not install pamac, I used the command line to try and install pamac, guess what it wouldnt let me.
So by using Zen installer restrictions are placed on what you can install, is this the price you pay for easy Arch install? Or is it just that I have missed a trick?
Zen Xfce was blazing fast boot compared to Manjaro Xfce, but Zen installed a lot less. I find Manjaro a lot more user friendly but slower.

The zen installer - installs an Arch Linux.

Arch Linux does not use pamac and does not support AUR without building an AUR helper.

Boot times depend on services activated and the chosen boot method - systemd boot is a tad faster than grub boot - but not significantly.

Manjaro has packages which Arch do not e.g. in-house development and some utilities added by team members (precompiled AUR packages) e.g. ipscan and polybar - used by Openbox Edition.

If you want fast Manjaro - try LXDE or LXQt minimal - even Openbox is pretty fast - but it depends on the activated services as mentioned above.

5 Likes

Tried them all thanks and Openbox is a little bit faster but still way slower than Zen.
I was once told that grub is better than systemd boot in respect of updates, something to do with not everything gets updated when using systemd boot? It was a while ago, my memory aint what it was :slight_smile:

If what you mean with updates is recognizing other systems - systemd boot can only dual-boot with windows - if I recall correct.

If you compare OOB be sure to compare apples with apples :slight_smile:

systemd-analyze blame
https://pastebin.com/EtZpGmAi

system
https://pastebin.com/9brxBjtr

1 Like

and compositor settings, for example fade steps or fading in general. When you set fade-in-step, fade-out-step and alpha-step to lower values software opening magically speed up :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks I have saved pastebin to my bookmarks. I have used architect as installer many times but not custom installer, I usually try a desktop with minimal install. Its been a while since I tried Lxqt . I found an old article where I asked about systemd boot it was kernal related, the long and short of it was kernals dont update when using systemd, philm said only grub was supported, so I chose to use grub with manjaro for an easy life :wink:
I guess I would like to install as lean a system as possible (thats why I tried Zen)
I need my laptop for internet gaming Forge of empires, and printer support.

systemd-analyze blame
11.351s ModemManager.service
7.957s dev-mapper-luks\x2dfd5d6ed4\x2dbb7d\x2d4734\x2db0f7\x2d86c5f71>
7.112s lvm2-monitor.service
6.975s org.cups.cupsd.service
6.638s man-db.service
6.097s polkit.service
5.057s accounts-daemon.service
3.853s systemd-journal-flush.service
3.719s avahi-daemon.service
3.528s NetworkManager.service
3.346s systemd-logind.service
2.655s systemd-udevd.service
2.561s logrotate.service
2.553s updatedb.service
2.109s ufw.service
2.061s udisks2.service
1.943s upower.service
1.273s systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service
1.148s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-5C01\x2dF638.service
988ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
915ms colord.service
883ms lightdm.service
592ms tlp.service

are there any of the above services I can remove without affecting performance?

If you are not using LVM, then you could disable that service:

sudo systemctl disable --now lvm2-monitor.service

You can even mask the service to make sure that it won't get started again at reboot:

sudo systemctl mask lvm2-monitor.service

Another candidate would be ModemManager.service.

ModemManager is a DBus-activated daemon which controls mobile broadband (2G/3G/4G) devices and connections. ModemManager is able to prepare and configure a wide variety of modems and setup connections with them.
https://docs.ubuntu.com/core/en/stacks/network/modem-manager/docs/

If you don’t have a mobile broadband interface — built-in, paired with a mobile phone via Bluetooth, or USB dongle — you don’t need this.
https://www.linux.com/tutorials/cleaning-your-linux-startup-process/

sudo systemctl disable --now ModemManager.service

sudo systemctl mask ModemManager.service

1 Like

If you don't use a printer you don't need the printer service.

sudo systemctl disable org.cups.cupsd.service
sudo systemctl stop org.cups.cupsd.service

8.218s dev-mapper-luks\x2dfd5d6ed4\x2dbb7d\x2d4734\x2db0f7\x2d86c5f71>
7.167s systemd-journal-flush.service
5.908s org.cups.cupsd.service
5.191s accounts-daemon.service
3.525s polkit.service
2.496s systemd-udevd.service
2.233s upower.service
2.166s udisks2.service
2.109s ufw.service
2.004s avahi-daemon.service
1.852s systemd-logind.service
1.841s NetworkManager.service
1.649s systemd-rfkill.service
1.338s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-5C01\x2dF638.service
1.083s colord.service
889ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
782ms lightdm.service
729ms boot-efi.mount
650ms systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service
557ms tlp.service
545ms systemd-journald.service
425ms bluetooth.service
357ms systemd-modules-load.service
this is after reboot, thanks chaps :slight_smile:

I do use a printer occasionally, so kept those services.
I have had a look at programs on pamac and got rid of those I do not need.
I have xfce min install via calmares installer with encryption.
I also installed 2 kernals, both lts just incase anything goes wrong.
Would consider architect custom install but not sure how to deal with encryption when using architect, also them Iran mirrors are a pain on install.

Forum kindly sponsored by