Youtube videos will no longer play

You’re kidding, right? To accomplish what, exactly?

I’m using PulseAudio with a Xorg GNOME session using NVIDIA graphics on my main laptop and PipeWire with a Wayland GNOME session using AMD graphics on my other laptop. There’s a reason for that. Both work wonderfully.

Either way, this subject is off-topic now that we sorted things with the audio server.

@manjbob We don’t have enough information to troubleshoot your issue.

Why don’t we start with your system info?

I’m taking a break, so I may not respond until tomorrow

I’ve already listed the inxi details (post #2).

This was meant solely in regard to this issue - installing manjaro-pipewire would probably “fix” this as well. We’ll see in next stable update if this is a single occurrence.

Anyhow, enjoy the break. :grin:

:man_facepalming: You did indeed. I got lost at the bottom of the thread. :laughing:

pipewire should not be running while using PulseAudio.

My output looks like this, for example:

❯ inxi -A
Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-3: Logitech Webcam C270 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
  Device-4: C-Media CM106 Like Sound Device type: USB
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.18.9-1-MANJARO running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
❯ systemctl --user status pipewire
○ pipewire.service - PipeWire Multimedia Service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)

Disable the pipewire service:

systemctl --user --disable now pipewire

I don’t advise using the 5.9 kernel until it’s stable–especially on the stable branch. 5.19-rc5 is out now and should be in the unstable branch in the next day or so.

If the tried and true, stable PulseAudio sound server is working fine for him (which by his first post it is), switching to PipeWire is illogical.

Indeed. And until this moment I thought inxi is just reporting it wrongly, since all those people with problems, on PulseAudio, most probably didn’t enable PipeWire manually.

Well, it turns out pipewire.socket happily starts it for you, even though user never asked for it.

Illogical is a bit strong word here. If you replaced “PulseAudio/PipeWire” with “X11/Wayland”, you probably wouldn’t say the same for people switching to Wayland.

I’d argue that - IF - PipeWire (or Wayland) doesn’t cause you any problems, then it is logical to switch to it. I do understand however that this isn’t the case for everyone.

As long as I can play videos, games, etc reasonably reliably, I’m not too bothered whether it’s using Pipewire or Pulseaudio. I’m more concerned whether a forthcoming Wireplumber update might mess things up again, although I accept that’s one of the risks in using the unstable branch.

Sure sure. This is more of an attempt to find the root cause, since my solution might only be fixing the symptoms.

It shouldn’t come up again, unless some more packages’ requirements are changed from pipewire-session-manager directly to wireplumber.

It will come to stable branch too, don’t worry. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.