Your thoughts on the different DEs?

It’s a laptop with Win10 already installed on it, so if I were to go that route, I’d have to create an ext3 partition on an NTFS drive to play with distros, only to remove it later when I commit to one.

Or, I can just run off a USB, reformat as necessary when I try other distros, then reformat the hd and install it all at once.

For me, that latter is less of a hassle. I’ve booted off a USB before, but I don’t know if partitioning would work. I was planning to use Rufus, and am guessing I would also need to have a boot menu on the USB in order to partition and choose which distro/DE to boot. I don’t think Rufus does this and I’m not savvy enough (yet) to make it myself.

Which I guess brings me to my original question, if I just have the XFCE spin, can I just switch it over to E after it boots and it will give me an accurate comparison of system resources?

Install one manjaro edition first (xfce). Then, install manjaro-architect to it. You can then easily install all manjaro editions to a USB stick from there

Alternatively, if you want to use isos:

1. install GRUB to your USB drive
  2. put all the isos you want to try to the USB stick to a directory /miso
  3. create a custom configuration file to start all your isos:

This might actually be easiest. @gohlip is good at answering questions about grub. See also

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multiboot_USB_drive#Using_GRUB_and_loopback_devices

E is different from any DE you’ve seen and very easy to become addicted to because of it’s configurability/modules. There is no “standard” setup for Enlightenment. It also uses a very small amount of RAM compared to other DEs, yet you can max it out with bells, whistles, geegaws, whatnot to your heart’s content. It has some of the best computer graphics artists outputting themes for it, as well.

I haven’t played with it in 2-3 years and would almost hate to get started again. Enlightenment is really in a class by itself. A small class. Enlightenment users don’t/can’t “relate” to GNOME or KDE or Xfce users, only other Enlightenment users. I sometimes wonder if they’re half-mad or half-genius or both. :wink:

Download a recent Enlightenment spin–anyone’s–and play with it for a while. You’ll see what I mean. :wink:

Enlightment is like openbox, but with a panel, much animations, bling and wayland support

1 Like

You can install to a USB device the same way as to a disk partition. You can boot from a live USB and install to a different USB device or an SD card. The speed will be slower, but you will be able to configure your system. The changes will survive a reboot unlike in a live system.

That’s spot-on. :smiley: Especially since Enlightenment is technically a Window Manager (WM) and not a Desktop Environment (DE).

Someone should do an enlightment edition again. I wonder if e still has the tiling option it used to have…

For sure there’s always a (working) tiling profile, even a (experimental) mobile profile, but fortunately I don’t have a touch screen yet ! :wink:
But E is also very capricious to build with the locales, pfuuu…

1 Like

JWM is more lighweight than I3 and it’s more windowy like + its community spin off is themed well.

LXDE is still in development and is now GTK3 its a fine and complete DE unlike LXQT that is fine but not fully developed

Yes JWM is exellent and can be very attractive if you learn the simple steps to customise. It really looks up to date and never gets in the way.

1 Like

See also this to create and put your iso’s in that usb partition.

Just remember a bios-legacy grub will boot up the isofile in bios-legacy and a uefi grub will boot up in uefi.

That’s because Enlightenment is derived from Openbox.
And Openbox and Fluxbox from Blackbox. Basically Windows Managers than Desktop Environments.

But Enlightenment is now trying to be a a full-fledged DE.
With its own terminal, file manager, network, ‘esudo’…written in their “EFL” rather than GTK.

Personally I prefer Enlightenment when it was simpler.
Perhaps their ‘own apps’ (or just “EFL”) is…er,<smack lips>(I can’t find the words).

1 Like

Depends on the type of storage?

Hard drive - I would use a partition.

SSD - I would use a swap file, so it can move over all the cells and balance the writing hits.

Nice summary, but I really wouldn’t put KDE any more into the heavy weight group. I really run it with all bells and whistles, I mix it with Firefox and Thunderbird, have too many panels and too many plasmoids going and the entire system now just consumes (20 Firefox tabs included and Thunderbird opened, Clementine (with all its qt4-llibrary burden) humming heavy metal music on top of that) --> 2 GiB of RAM.

And if you care only a tiny bit, you can drive a nice Plasma desktop at 400 MB RAM (see: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kde-neon-5-12.html … admittedly, bells and whistles are not part of the default setup of KDE Neon :wink: ).

IMHO KDE/Plasma5 is about to outpace XFCE when it comes to resourse consumption, speed and performance.

That said, for the setup of the OP, I would also rather tend to enlightenment, last time I tried it it was amazingly beautiful and performant for its small footprint (although it wasn’t my cup of tea in the end).

1 Like

I agree with this… KDE isn’t hard on my RAM or anything at all. It has gotten so much better than it was in the past.

1 Like

I’m wasn’t quite sure where to put it. It’s either the heaviest of middle class or the lightest of heavy weights. So I arbitrarily decide that middle class was 250-350Mib.

Probably even lower. You can also easily tweak gnome to run at 370Mib. But I was talking about the manjaro edition defaults. My impression is that kde edition is somewhere between 380 and 450 Mib. I should probably do a series of installations to see how heavy each edition really is…

2 Likes

Cinnamon runs heavy right now. With some pretty deep tweaks (removing modules, disabling services, etc) I still cant get it under 700M on a cold boot. And thats after reading up on the current memory leaks coming from visually refreshing panel applets (specifically cpu monitor types and the like).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark