Thumbnails don't appear in Dolphin

Is there a setting I’ve missed in Dolphin that sets thumbnail display. Some applications thumbnails do work. Others don’t show.

For example, for a Blender file the thumbnail shows in both Dolphin and Thunar.

But, for a FreeCAD file, the thumbnaill shows in Thunar, but not Dolphin.

Hi @drmacro,

Open Dolphin, go to the Settings menu and select Configure Dolphin. In the window that opens, make sure the General tab on the left is selected, and select the Previews 5t5tab on the right.

Configure it ass you wish and click OK

https://i.imgur.com/m2HHrSO.png

1 Like

You might consider running a spellchecker on that.

2 Likes

I did look there. As shown below Blender is listed but no FreeCAD.

You need kde-fcstd-thumbnailer, can be compiled from the source, have a look here:

https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php?style=4&t=68087

The package is kind of outdated, but worth a try in your case.

1 Like

I was able to get that to build.

And Dolphin now lists the file type, but it still doesn’t display the thumbnail.

kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental
1 Like

Just to explain the command from @Aragorn:

It rebuilds the “KDE System Configuration Cache” manually.

Maybe a reboot does the same. If the files are located on a remote location (other disk etc.) you need to adjust the preview settings via “Skip previews for remote files above”, curently set to “No previews”.

1 Like

I had already rebooted.
Setting Skip previews made no difference.
Running the command from @Aragorn results in:

kbuildsycoca5 running…
kf.service.services: The desktop entry file “/usr/share/applications/org.freedesktop.Xwayland.desktop” has Type= “Application” but no Exec line
kf.service.sycoca: Invalid Service : “/usr/share/applications/org.freedesktop.Xwayland.desktop”
kbuildsycoca5 running…
kf.service.services: The desktop entry file “/usr/share/applications/org.freedesktop.Xwayland.desktop” has Type= “Application” but no Exec line
kf.service.sycoca: Invalid Service : “/usr/share/applications/org.freedesktop.Xwayland.desktop”

I created an AUR package.
Please give it a try.

kde-fcstd-thumbnailer-git

1 Like