Yay enounters "partition/ too full" error each time on install despite over half HD being available

Had this issue in the summer and just gave up installing new packages. Now that I want to again I forgot this was occurring. I ran yay -Suy to update everything and it fails giving the following:

: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(339/339) checking keys in keyring                       [##############################] 100%
(339/339) checking package integrity                     [##############################] 100%
(339/339) loading package files                          [##############################] 100%
(339/339) checking for file conflicts                    [##############################] 100%
(340/340) checking available disk space                  [##############################] 100%
error: Partition / too full: 115993 blocks needed, 16553 blocks free
error: not enough free disk space
error: failed to commit transaction (not enough free disk space)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
error installing repo packages

Can you post the output of… :arrow_down:

df | grep sda 

… please, whereby you replace sda by the correct drive designation?

Indeed, but how do I tell the correct drive designation again?

Meh.
We can just do this probably (with some obfuscation for you)

df -h | sed -e "s/$HOSTNAME/HOST/gI" -e "s/$USER/USER/gI"

Sorry for my ignorance here, I appreciate the help.

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dev             7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
run             7.9G  1.8M  7.9G   1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p7   20G   19G   65M 100% /
tmpfs           7.9G  233M  7.6G   3% /dev/shm
tmpfs           4.0M     0  4.0M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           7.9G   52M  7.8G   1% /tmp
/dev/nvme0n1p8  232G   28G  193G  13% /home
/dev/nvme0n1p5  511M  308K  511M   1% /boot/efi
tmpfs           1.6G   92K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
df | grep nvme0n1p8
/dev/nvme0n1p8  232G   28G  193G  13% /home

And there we are.
Your root is full.
How or why is another question. It could be cache, logs, installed applications, etc.

(honestly 20g is a bit small for root … but if you are careful it can work)

One first shot is to clean the cache:

paccache -ruk0 && paccache -rvk3
1 Like

There’s your culprit. Perhaps you should clean out /var/cache/pacman/pkg? :arrow_down:

sudo paccache -rvk2
1 Like

Hmm so my options are to re-install and re-partition or try to get crafty?

That freed up 173.5 MiB so I’m still 99% full :sweat_smile:

You can knock of another set of cached files by bumping the number (amount of versions kept=2)

paccache -rvk2

Yeah … you might want to carve out more space and resize, or backup and go about a full reformat (safer).
Otherwise you have to be a bit ‘crafty’ with how you use your current allocated space.

1 Like

That cleared out 337.6 MiB, seems like I’m near the max of the 20 gb.

Dumb question, but a file stored in the home directory but with root privileges is not part of the root partition, correct?

Correct, yes.

1 Like

Yes.
( assuming you have a separate root and home partition … which you do: /dev/nvme0n1p8 232G 28G 193G 13% /home )

Though you should not have anything ‘root’ or do anything ‘as root’ in your home.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help y’all. This is likely cuz I stupidly wiped and re-installed over the summer and probably didn’t know how to properly clone my file system so when I ported it to the fresh install I did dumb things.

Can’t really wipe and re-format now without copying my setup and that will take a bit of research which I’m not gonna be able to do with job stresses.

I think I’m just inept here and making troubles for myself that shouldn’t exist in the first place.

Duly noted about not storing root things in home, they should all be in root. Thanks for the help all, wonderful as always!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.