Autoclose topics after a solution

I noticed somebody changed the settings recently…
Isn’t the new setting to auto-close topics only 3 hours after solution a bit hard? The previous one of 3 days was maybe a bit too much, but 3 hours is very little. In a lot of cases, the OP has additional question, or we want to add additional info, or sometimes the wrong solution is clicked. Not everybody is constantly on the forum to react accordingly. I think like one day would be more appropriate.
Just my 2 cents.

6 Likes

I believe the value may have changed with a Discourse update. We haven’t touched that setting for over 2 years.

I’ve just changed it to 24 hours, how’s that?

EDIT: Based on feedback, I’ve increased it to 36 hours.

4 Likes

3 hours also makes it hard for those of us in time zones who are asleep when most of Europe and the Americas are awake. Sometimes a “solution” is not the best solution, or maybe the OP needs to be made aware that it is also a very risky solution that could break their system if they make a typo.

Edit: I just saw that @Yochanan has adjusted the setting to 24 hours - I’m fine with that.

2 Likes

I think 24H should be fine for everybody to have one last reaction, workday and timezones taken into consideration.

2 Likes

It’s better - but I’d have said 48 or 72 hours might be better, because some latecoming solutions are often much more eloquent than the initial ones.

4 Likes

At the risk of splitting hairs, splitting the difference somehow seems more reasonable, considering the 3 day closure has existed this long. 48 Hrs. :hourglass_flowing_sand:

1 Like

I say 24h. If you are involved in the thread, its on you to have notifications active OR check for answers constantly.
But I also see a lot who wants 2 days, so… Middle ground, 36hrs? :smiley:

2 Likes

It should have stayed the original setting cause plenty of times solved or not there is info that would be helpful to others in the future and a lot don’t make it back to the forum within 3 to 24 hours to add that info.

4 Likes

Ok you convinced me i vote for 36 too, just to be on the safe side. And btw, even if i write on a phone now, i would not do it for more than 3 sentences, it is just inconvenient, esp. With tags quotes and links. So the good quality posts happen only evenings for most people, i.e. once a day, timezones into consideration.

3 Likes

I think the original 3 days was about right, people do have lives, etc. Some might be busy over a weekend for instance.

2 Likes

3 days seems pretty good. It’s not like it pollutes the forum if it sits there for 3 days…

3 Likes

Just leave them all open. That way, 5 years from now some newbie can come on and necrobump it with a “Me too” post.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any which way, I think this thread here has served its purpose, including the unintended one of contributing to global warming. Therefore, I think it’s time to close it.

Here everyone, take an example after the happiest animal on the planet. :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve reopened the topic as posts are still being automatically closed after three hours. More investigation is required.

1 Like

The AI overlords know what’s best.

Don’t trifle with them, or you may come to regret it.

:rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, I missed one at the weekend - had to send a PM instead.

1 Like

Sounds like someone refused to to do what was agreed on which was to leave threads open for at least 24 hours.