.Xresources vs. alacritty.yml

Okay, surface knowledge on these files:
I understand .Xresources is a file that X wants to look at for certain attributes- most of urxvt/xterm graphical / visual settings seem to go there.

Now I’m using Alacritty and most of the graphical / visual options seem to be pulling from the same file. I do notice that transparency is not pulled and other little details are not present but the overall feel of Alacritty is similar to that of urxvt.

My question or at least the discussion I wish to invoke is one that asks what setting should go where? Is there an advantage to having both alacritty and / or urxvt pulling from .Xresources or should I be placing all the settings possible into .Xresouces? …considering Alacritty does not have a .config file by default.

Thank you

Rxvt-unicode is controlled by command-line arguments or Xresources. Xresources is a user-level configuration dotfile , typically located at ~/.Xresources.

Alacritty searches for a configuration file at the following places in this order:

• $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/alacritty/alacritty.yml
  • $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/alacritty.yml
  • $HOME/.config/alacritty/alacritty.yml
  • $HOME/.alacritty.yml

Copy the example configuration file at /usr/share/doc/alacritty/example/alacritty.yml to one of those places and uncomment the settings you want to change. Most settings take effect as soon as you save the file.