Xorg usage high using open drivers & i3

Hello all,

I have a recent install of i3 manjaro and I’m having a problem where my Xorg usage climbs to 40 percent, but I’m not sure why.

I’ve got my output for inxi -g:

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA G98M [GeForce 9300M GS] driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel 
  Device-2: Microdia Sonix Integrated Webcam type: USB 
  driver: uvcvideo 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: nouveau 
  unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1280x800~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NV98 v: 3.3 Mesa 21.1.4 

and a snip of the MHWD command, showing my installed driver:

> INSTALLED:

NAME:	video-linux
   ATTACHED:	PCI
   VERSION:	2018.05.04
   INFO:	Standard open source drivers.
   PRIORITY:	2
   FREEDRIVER:	true
   DEPENDS:	-
   CONFLICTS:	-
   CLASSIDS:	0300 0380 0302 
   VENDORIDS:	1002 8086 10de 

I’m not really sure how to troubleshoot an issue like this one, I don’t know if it’s related to the graphics card, or something else.

Can you give me some direction for troubleshooting?

I don’t have permissions to attach a screenshot, but I have one from htop showing my usage of Xorg (lightdm) around 35 percent.

Thanks very much for your help!

Welcome to the forum!

I recommend you check this out:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards

I would try the non-free drivers to see if you get the same behaviour.

Hope that helps.

Hello, here is the full output of “mhwd -l -d”:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e[1me[31m> e[mPCI Device: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:06e9)
  Display controller nVidia Corporation G98M [GeForce 9300M GS]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  > INSTALLED:

> AVAILABLE:

NAME:	video-modesetting
   VERSION:	2020.01.13
   INFO:	X.org modesetting video driver.
   PRIORITY:	1
   CLASSIDS:	0300 
   VENDORIDS:	* 

NAME:	video-vesa
   VERSION:	2017.03.12
   INFO:	X.org vesa video driver.
   PRIORITY:	0
   CLASSIDS:	0300 
   VENDORIDS:	* 

And just for good measure, here is the output of "sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300:

e[1me[31m> e[mSkipping already installed config 'video-linux' for device: 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:06e9) Display controller nVidia Corporation G98M [GeForce 9300M GS]

It seems like the mhwd program and the wiki page is basically saying, I should be using the free drive and maybe the non-free one isn’t supported. I guess I could manually force the NVIDIA driver install, but I’m worried I’ll break the system. Can you recommend a good on for the “G98M”, also called the 9300M GS? I thought the “non-free” flag would select correctly.

EDIT: I have learned some more since this posting. For my legacy card, the recommended driver to use is the “nouveau” open source driver, however, many people found success with the no longer supported “nvidia 340-xx” driver. There is a post here on the manjaro forums about how to manually clone the drivers from github & compile them with mkpkg.

Strangely, if I use MHWD, it doesn’t seem to understand that I have a non-free driver installed, but using “lspci -v” shows that the “nvidia” module is loaded in the kernel.

At this point I just need to test and see if I still get high Xorg usage. At this time I am happy to report my Xorg usage is around 2% when I’m at my desktop, I hope this is a sign of good fortune.

I would not use those drivers, they are end of life and have serious unfixable security issues. Nouveau is the only recommended option.

Hi Evernow,

I agree with you in principle, it seems like Manjaro in general also feels this way, so they dropped it from the official repositories.

The problem I’m having is, this “fix” actually corrected my issues. My idle load is now down around 2%, keeping a browser window up doesn’t slow my CPU down to a crash. Whenever I had nouveau loaded, I had terrible issues. What would you propose as a better method?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.