Xkbmap settings constantly getting reset

Hi! A few months back, I created my own keyboard layout variant by adding it to /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml, so I could simply pick it in the system settings. It worked great until the stable updates from one or two weeks ago, which reset the files in /usr/share/X11/xkb. I just inserted my stuff again, and it shows up in the system settings. However, the selected variant gets reset between a few seconds and a few minutes after setting it.

Specifically, when I run setxkbmap -query after setting the keyboard layout I get the following output:

rules:      evdev
model:      pc101
layout:     de
variant:    right_hand_controls

But when I switch to another program and just do my thing, the settings suddenly change to:

rules:      evdev
model:      pc101
layout:     de,de
variant:    ,right_hand_controls

This change usually takes just a few seconds, but sometimes everything works fine for a couple of minutes. I am pretty clueless on which program is changing my settings and why.
localectl gives me the following output:

System Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
VC Keymap: de
X11 Layout: de
X11 Model: pc101
X11 Variant: right_hand_controls

It’d be awesome if someone could give me a hint how to solve this issue or where to dig deeper for the problem.

It looks like regenerating locales with locale-gen and activating en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 as fallback did the trick.

I take that back, the problem persists :frowning:

Does anyone know how I could find out what is changing my keymap?