Failed to start Load Kernel Modules after video-nvidia-455x upgrade

Posting this in the Graphics section as it started after I tried to upgrade.

If it matters, I just did this this morning. I have not yet done the 11/4 update. 10/19 was the last one I’ve done on this machine.

While logged into the desktop, I tried to upgrade the nvidia driver by running the following commands…

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-440xx
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-455xx

The desktop became unresponsive so I had to reboot thru the terminal.

After rebooting, I now have these errors on boot.

Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

I switched to tty and ran the following…

journalctl -b -u systemd-modules-load.service --no-hostname --no-pager

Which shows the following errors…

Failed to insert module 'nvidia' : Exec format error
Failed to insert module 'nvidia_drm' : Exec format error

I tried reinstalling video-nvidia-440xx but I have the same issue still. If I remove all nvidia drivers I can boot but the desktop still doesn’t work right. All I can use is the terminal. Apps show the are open but I don’t see them.

Any help is appreciated!

P.S. I’m using kernel 5.8 currently.

Nevermind, I got it figure out! I kept digging around and found a solution.

For those that might encounter this, I found this post of a similar issue with Nvidia. When I mentioned above that I had not done the 11/4 update yet I updated my graphics driver this morning it seemed to cause some disconnects with the kernel since it hadn’t been updated to the latest. In tty, I removed the driver again, did a full update, then reinstalled the driver and rebooted. Everything is working fine now.

The “Exec format error” usually means that the kernel version does not match the one for which the module was compiled as you have found out.

You can use modinfo nvidia and uname -r to compare the versions.