Xfwm4 doesn't work anymore after reboot

Hi everyone,

I’ve just encounter a problem I don’t understand.
I rebooted my computer, which was working fine and when I logged back in it seems like at least the windows manager doesn’t work anymore (it is visible in the screenshots linked). This means I don’t have normal windows buttons and that I can no longer manipulate windows with my cursor.

I’ve tried a reinstallation but it didn’t change anything. I can’t open windows toogles but I also have several small other bugs such as right-click not working properly and my background having disappeared and a shortcut I made using the super key to go back to the desktop is not working anymore.

Even if it’s not the xfce windows manager I don’t really understand how it happened as I just rebooted my computer having done no change on purpose that I could think of.
How you I approach this ? Is there any usefull info I can get out of the terminal ?

Thanks a lot !

UPDATE :
So it is indeed a problem with xfwm4 which doesn’t launch at boot. Also, I cannot launch it except from the terminal. I I try to launch, lest say from the wisker menu, it simply seems to crach after a few seconds. So I still need to find why it ceased to function after I rebooted my PC and how I can make it work smoothly again.

1 Like

I’m not on XFCE, so won’t be able to help you further, but if I would be, I’d ask for:

• An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
  • The XFCE WM log file

:frowning: