Desktop: Xfce v: 4.16.0 tk: Gtk v: 3.24.29 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm
v: 4.16.1 dm: LightDM v: 1.30.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux base: Arch Linux
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Z210 Workstation v: N/A
serial: Chassis: type: 6 serial:
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1587h serial: BIOS: Hewlett-Packard
v: J51 v01.53 date: 07/25/2016

Note: Xfce Power Manager 4.16.0

I upgraded the system and the default setting has screen lock enabled. After online searching I found out this feature is accessed through the power manager. I have tried to start the power manager both through the control panel and from the command line and it will not run. This is not a laptop so power management is not that important. I want to disable screen locking entirely and it would also be good if I could make the power manager work, but getting rid of screen locking is more important.

I have done more experiments and the problem does not seem to be with the screen saver. It can go into screen saver mode and then turn on the monitor and everything is fine. However if it waits longer I have to reboot. This implies it is trying to go into another power saving mode beyond screen saving. Considering this is an old HP Z210 workstation that may not be possible.

Also, when I launch the xfce4 power manager I can see it on the task display but it never puts up the UI and after a period of time it quits. The command is “xfce4-power-manager-settings” with no command line args. When I run the program from the command line the result is the same.

I still need to solve the problem. Is there a file I can edited to change the power saving settings? Is the power manager the only program that affects this operation?

Thanks.

I tried running xfce4-power-manager from the command line with the -c option, which theoretically should start configuration and I got the following output:

** (xfce4-power-manager:24086): WARNING **: 01:50:31.383: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name ‘org.freedesktop.PowerManagement’: no such name

** (xfce4-power-manager:24086): WARNING **: 01:50:31.384: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name ‘org.xfce.PowerManager’: no such name

(xfce4-power-manager:24086): libupower-glib-WARNING **: 01:50:56.427: Couldn’t connect to proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.UPower: Failed to activate service ‘org.freedesktop.UPower’: timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)

(xfce4-power-manager:24086): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 01:50:56.432: …/glib/gobject/gsignal.c:2613: signal ‘Changed’ is invalid for instance ‘0x5561be22fb60’ of type ‘GDBusProxy’

(xfce4-power-manager:24086): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 01:50:56.466: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(xfce4-power-manager:24086): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 01:50:56.466: g_signal_connect_data: assertion ‘G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)’ failed

(xfce4-power-manager:24086): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 01:50:56.466: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(xfce4-power-manager:24086): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 01:50:56.466: g_signal_connect_data: assertion ‘G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)’ failed

(xfce4-power-manager:24086): libupower-glib-CRITICAL **: 01:50:56.466: up_client_get_devices_full: assertion ‘UP_IS_CLIENT (client)’ failed

I had to stop it with control-c

Here is the file content of
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-power-manager.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

I cannot find any documentation describing what these values control.

Contents not copied in previous post. Here they are:

Having trouble posting XML. One more try:

channel name=“xfce4-power-manager” version=“1.0”
property name=“xfce4-power-manager” type=“empty”
property name=“power-button-action” type=“uint” value=“3”/
property name=“show-tray-icon” type=“int” value=“1”/
property name=“blank-on-ac” type=“int” value=“3”/
property name=“dpms-on-ac-off” type=“uint” value=“30”/
property name=“dpms-on-ac-sleep” type=“uint” value=“15”/
property name=“sleep-button-action” type=“uint” value=“3”/
property name=“hibernate-button-action” type=“uint” value=“3”/
property name=“inactivity-on-ac” type=“uint” value=“337”/